Trouble with the gendarmes

Bill, local remedies like that are handy on small patches of ground but at the golf course with a total of 112 hectares at least 60 hectares were ‘manicured’ for the golf holes ie. Tees, greens, fairways, rough and bunkers all of which were frequented by moles. I or someone else used o do at least one daily tour with traps to keep them under control.
In my early days I was able to use strychnine with worms but this was outlawed in about 1997 (ish) and the subsequent poisons were less effective. Those explosive devices were a no-no because of cost and safety reasons.

Yup, all of the above. Usual camera technology, you get more nowadays for less money. Spend a day reading reviews and buy accordingly. It might be worth investing in a decent tripod if you haven’t got a post to strap it to.

Petrol in mole galleries? Highly illegal but if it works for you! Aluminium Phosphate is still available in the UK but is seriously regulated in France, special diploma, no treatment within 10metres of any buildings, whole area completely sealed off for 3 days, etc.

Traps and knowing the enemy is the key.

I’m thinking that the tunnels are so small in diameter that they are probably voles of some description…once vacated and uninhabited the bumblebees seem to make use of them…I’m surrounded by fields on 3 sides…one side always crops…bottom side rotation of cattle…the other side permanently fenced off with electric wire and occasionally several to half a dozen cattle…(my Collies go mad when they get this close but I have created a no man’s land between us and them…,!) I see mole hills forming on the neighbouring fields and I don’t know what they do to combat this nor if they do anything at all…??? As mentioned I get the occasional mole hill but I’m kind of attributing them to one mole and thankfully my raw fed Collies have yet to be affected/infected…My next door neighbours who’s back garden backs onto my land grow their own veg…I have to
say that I do worry if my occasional mole builds a molehill close to their fence…they no doubt have their own methods of dealing with it and I hope it’s not poison because of my Collies same as I keep my Collies away from their fence if I see them spraying anything I’m not sure of…how do you say “I hate Monsanto”
in French…??? x :slight_smile:

A farmer friend was given a demo of a mole clearing piece of kit and invited me to have a look. It pumped gas - propane? and oxygen into a run and when it got to a certain level ignited - boom. The overpressure is supposed to kill all moles in 100 m2.
I use a petard on the moles, but leave the gendarmes to get on with it.

Had one of these on the farm to film the badger set that we have which is only 200 metres from the farmhouse, took some great shots with it until some lowlife nicked the camera and tripod one night, the downside being I never backed up the film on the card.

1 Like

I think the word Pky is on the PC banned list, be careful!

Misty, if your name is your post code, you are 85Km west of me. I have a job this Thursday (including moles) south of Aubusson which is 85Km south of you. If you’re about in the afternoon, I can pop up and see you, to have a look. PM me your details if you want!

Alors, there are youtube videos of Americans using compressed air and nets to capture gophers, worth having a look. Propane is just too risky and probably illegal, so wouldn’t advise.

As a diplomed, I have to abide by the rules, but you can do as you like on your own land if you’re prepared to take the risk , just don’t get caught, and don’t blame me!

I was wondering if anyone would remember Jasper… :rofl:

Thank you, Robert, have edited the post.

1 Like

Our lawn is riddled with the things, I suspect that they are or were a common problem in the village because two or three years ago there was a public meeting on the subject of “Mole control” - sadly I wasn’t over in France at the time (my French wouldn’t have been up to it anyway).

I think that they like the relatively undisturbed ground - the previous owner mowed at least once a week and didn’t appear to have a significant issue with them.

I’m a little live and let live but the visible excavations are unsightly and are bloody difficult to drive the tondeuse over :frowning:

Oups, I’m getting my women mixed up! Helen W, if you are within commuting distance of either 18210 or 23500 on Thursday, ping me a PM.

Misty, another time perhaps?!!

Bonne dimanche.

1 Like

Mowing the lawn causes noise and vibration, so regular mowing should deter them. Spiking the soil with a fork in the vicinity of the molehills will cause wind draughts in the tunnels which they don’t like either.

Sonic beepers are generally a waste of money, unless you use them correctly; use in moderation, not 24\7\365. One week on, two weeks off is better because they won’t become accustomed to the noise (same as sonic rat things in the house).

As Confucius’s brother said, Think like a mole to catch a mole.

Just recently I’ve been lucky enough to spot movement on top of some mole hills. Attack immediately with a garden fork. No luck so far…
Mowing regularly has worked in previous years though.

These are a couple of shots we got one night a few years ago. One otter was seen last week by one of our guests taking their dog out for a late pee, it came out of the river and chased them off!

Surprised to get the wildcat though :grin:

7 Likes

Your Wildcat sighting is great, very envious. It is slightly similar to the Genet that we see from time to time…

It’s lovely to know we have so much wildlife around us… :relaxed:

1 Like

Ha ha Robert … so many women so little time :joy:
I do have moles but I can live with them as I don’t have a bowling green/golf course type garden .
I do remember when I first moved to France many years ago being given all sorts of advice on how to get rid of moles. Peeing in the hill being a popular one, but as my aim isn’t as good as a mans, and baring my all in the garden didn’t appeal I never tried it. Of course there are the broken bottles and barbed wire in the tunnels, plus the lawn mower exhaust, moth balls and waiting patiently nearby with a shotgun solutions, but I don’t think they really work. I did once catch a mole in one of those plastic tube contraptions that have a ‘door’ either end, but I felt so guilty that I haven’t used it again ! Not to say never because they can cause havoc in my flower beds !

1 Like

Awwww…Thankyou Robert…I haven’t seen him creating any molehills at all yet so far this year…or maybe it’s a bit early yet…??? Or maybe he’s off to pastures new…??? The little burrows/tunnels so far this year have been all quiet on the western front too…x :slight_smile:

1 Like