Trying to find out what Crit'Air means to me

We arrived from the US 8 months ago and have installed ourselves pretty well in Cholet. I have been renting cars off and on, but it is time to buy one. I’m a pretty good wrench myself (or used to be) and had several VW and Mercedes diesels in the last few years. I would like to buy a fairly cheap small diesel (it’s going to be parked on the street) but I am concerned about how Crit’Air will impact me. It would seem that diesels later than 2012 will likely be around for a few more years at least in the countryside, but I am concerned that I’ll buy one and the next day I won’t be able to get into Nantes. I would really prefer to buy one even earlier, if I thought I could at least use it in Cholet for a few years. Any thoughts? Any suggested cars? I am thinking Pug 208 or Citroen C3 or Clio.

If our experience is anything to go by it will mean nothing. We are near Lyon, and although we could actually drive into the centre most of the time we don’t. Because of having a low emission zone they have improved public transport. So we use park and ride, and leave car on periphery.

Currently Nantes doesn’t have a Low Emission Zone - but it does have a “Limited Traffic Zone!” - where you need a sticker to enter - essentially it’s for residents and delivery drivers only.

Whether they bring in a LEZ in the future is unknown - it seems from this article:

https://euro.dayfr.com/local/510108.html

…that only cars registered before 1997 are likely to be prohibited, starting in 2025.

So you probably don’t need to worry for a few years yet, unless you plan to drive in the really big cities like Paris or Lyons!

Thanks for that. It seems like there would be a tremendous number of cars that would be affected by banning below Crit’Air 2. I’m not planning moving anywhere bigger . Most of the articles I had been reading showed a much more aggressive trend. I might even be safe going down to Crit’Air 3 as I am afraid whatever I buy will get beat up on our busy street.

Hello nunthewiser and welcome to the forum.

do you mean, literally vandalised or are there lots of traffic accidents :wink: :wink: ???

Neither. It’s a very busy one way street with cars parked along one side. Very narrow sidewalks with a lot of walking and electro-scooter traffic. Just a lot of opportunities for accidental scratches, bumps, dings, broken mirrors, scraped wheel covers. That sort of thing. Also the possibility of getting pronged just getting into the traffic. I have a very small garage but it almost seems impossible to get into it with the constant traffic flow in front of our house. We don’t have a driveway- the garage opens literally onto the street.

Perhaps your council could help you use your garage, by slightly amending the no-parking space in front of the garage doors.
This has been successful for friends, who had a similar problem in their town. By angling the demarcation lines on the road the car can now edge out, angled rather than straight ahead. Phew, so much easier and safer.

Just a thought… have a word and ask for their advice/help.

Have seen the sort of problems described when my kids were students in centre of Brest, people did not care if they hit other parked cars or parked so close no one could move until the end of the line did. My son rented a decent sized garage across the road at the base of a block of flats for his car, he got the info from a local immobilier and I think it cost something like €60/month plus insurance which was cheaper than losing his ncb or having the vehicle damaged or stolen. Maybe the OP can investigate that even if its a ten minute walk away.

That really won’t work. Parking alternates on one side of the street or the other, and switches mid-month. Half the month cars are barreling up the road right in front of the door. It’s really the speed of traffic right on our doorstep that’s the problem. Cars are zipping by at 50-70 kph and there’s either no reaction time or poor visibility. I could probably use the garage early Sunday morning or holidays but it’s mad during the week. A car passes by every 5-10 seconds during peak hours. This is absolutely the worst part of this house. If we were only back from the street 10 metres I don’t think we would ever leave.

1 Like

You say you’ve been renting cars in and off, so why change? Keep some electric bikes in your garage for short journeys and carry on renting.

1 Like

First reason is that I am afraid somebody is going to damage a rental car eventually. Also it’s just inhibiting. I wanted to be able to jump in the car and have lunch over there or take an afternoon drive. Since we’ve been renting lately from Eleclerc and paying by the km it puts a damper on that sort of thing. Months ago when I rented by the month with a big pile of miles, it was a lot more enjoyable. But that’s just too expensive long term. Had I bought a car earlier for say 5,000 euros we would be in good shape. But I’m leaving shortly to go back to the US and sell our house, so I didn’t want a car sitting for months here.

If you’re selling your property in US … why not look for something which suits you better than this current French property… but perhaps it’s not really such a big deal for you, this parking thingy… only you know what life is really like in that house, on that street :wink:

but now might be the time to make the decision… ???

Incidentally, parking across a garage door and thus blocking exit/entrance is not allowed… certainly as far as I am aware…
and if this is happening and/or the speed is horrendous… chat with your Mairie…

Yes, of course we will be evaluating housing options. But it’s complicated. I would be far happier out in the the countryside of Brittany, within driving distance of civilization. I like, but don’t love Cholet (it’s too new). I am thinking near Questembert or Redon. But my wife wants to be in a city. And we have to be fairly close to Nantes. Medical issues are a factor.

If you are “in a city” chances are you will always have niggles (major and/or minor).
There will be plenty of other options without going to extremes… :wink: should be able to find something which suits both of you…

best of luck

Right. We had almost given up in desperation, being non-French retirees. The door was always slamming shut in our faces. The options were terrible and we just couldn’t pull the trigger on something so far below what we’re leaving in the US. We’re so thankful that we found the landlord we have, he and his wife are amazing. But we’ll have plenty of options when we decide to buy. I’ll need that car…

1 Like

Wondering why diesel?