TVA on gites as Autoentrepreneurs

Hi all,

We had a cracking year for gite income in 2023 at 33,300€ and (victim of the sucess) came perilously close to the limit for prestations de service before you have to switch onto the TVA charging regime.

We had our best January ever and being close enough to the Jeux Olympiques, it is likely to be another good year.

However, if we go over by only a few thousand, what are the real consequences, other than having to hike our prices by 20% (and that is unlikely to go down very well…could bring our income back down with a bump!)

Do we have to get an accountant to do a VAT return (we don’t have much time or any experience on that one)?

Can we then reclaim VAT on energy bills and the like?

Does it inherently change our Autoentrepreneur status?

Anyone have any experience of reaching this limit? Are we best off trying to in fact limit revenues and stay under the threshold, if it is a lot of hassle and the price rise for clients would be detrimental to business ?

Appreciate your thoughts and insights, as always, thanks in advance.

If you drop the ‘if’ & the ‘?’ I think you have answered your own question.

Thanks, just trying to work out if there are some upsides amongst what I dont know, rather than just the down sides according to my ‘gut feeling’

If you went over to “regime réel” & are registered for TVA you can then claim back all the TVA that you pay on the costs of running your business, which you currently cannot do.

Equally all of your legitimate costs can be offset against tax, which is also not possible under AE.

This means that although you would need to charge 20% TVA on all your prices you might be able to reduce the HT price so that the overall rise wouldn’t be so great.

However, if you are happy with the profit you are making whilst below the TVA requirement it might be less stressful to limit your bookings.

1 Like

Thats helpful, thank you. Since we currently only pay the 7% cotisation rate including 1% impot sur le revenue (because we are meublés de tourisme classé) it would seem prudent to stick where we are.
I cant see us offsetting nearly enough costs to cjut already low prices.

Cheers for the clarification!

@Danielle_Robins That’s exactly what I’ve been doing for the last 10 years. Many people are very negative about VAT/TVA but it has a lot of benefits if you have high expenditure.

Don’t be afraid about going over the threshold. Don’t spend the VAT, it’s not your money, it’s the government’s, they want it and don’t be late. If in doubt, get an accountant.

Well done being successful!

Thank you :slight_smile:

I’ve just quickly add up the items I think we could claim on, it would basically only be our gas, electric, internet bill, website provider, a few DIY and sundry purchases (toilet rolls, shampoo etc).

Thinking about it, it doesn’t seem like it would be worth it. 20% on about 400€ a month of expenses (excluding our mortgage payment). Especially if we then lose the right to only pay 7% tax and cotisations combined.

I think I’m barking up the wrong tree and that Badger is right, just try to stay under (unlikely to massively grow the business from here on).