Twilight the retirement home for dogs

I would just like to comment about a wonderful English couple Leeanne & Michael Whitley who set up and run with help from many volunteers, The Twilight retirement home for dogs. www.twilightchiens.com They can also be found on Facebook. They started Twilight in the summer of 2009, in memory of losing their dog Kizzy, and
needing to find a friend for their elderly but happy retriever, Teg.
It became evident, searching the pounds and refuges, that if you were an old
dog, life was not always so good, and your ending might be premature and/or without dignity.
So now they offer limited places for elderly dogs who are lost, abandoned or bereaved of their owners. In this day and age it is so nice to come across people who dedicate their lives to something like this. If you have time take a look at their website or Facebook page.

It is a charity, but not funded like Blue Cross or RSPCA.
That is why our dog was going to be shot, a lot less money for a cartridge.
Apparently the Mairie is responsible for abandoned dogs as well.

I thought the SPA was a charity - why would they be charging a fee? Surely if people have to pay for the SPA to take their dog in, they’ll work around that by leaving the dog there anonymously, or simply dumping it on SPA’s doorstep?

Given the cost of things in France, I was puzzled to find they don’t have charity shops here - I would have thought they’d be really welcomed!

We have just rescued a lovely dog from the farm next door to ourselves. She is a border collie x, five to six years old and has a lovely disposition. She was going to be shot as they would not or could not pay the 100 euros demanded upfront by the SPA.

Why is France so far behind the times in the charity section?