Tyres, safety issues/legal requirements etc

I don"t see how ABS will help once you are going sideways. :-(

But in general, with ABS, you can steer as you brake very hard and you retain control. These things are best learned in a safe environment so that the day this happens you know how to deal with it.

The first time I didn't brake just steered and gently braked to bring the car to a stop. I had a passenger who told me that it wouldn't have mattered if I braked as the ABS would cut in. So the second time I braked and the ABS cut in and I spun further.

:-)

Is it the same for horses? New shoes always on the rear? I can't imagine it would be easy to control an oversteering horse either. :-)

That is what *I* was taught, Gordon - but that was many years ago!! As I understood it, it is much easier to control a blow-out on a rear tyre than a front tyre. But that was back in the days when a man had to walk in front with a red flag!!!

Really?? The correct response is new ones at the front? How strange.

Back home, for us, it was always new tyres on the rear, 4WDs included... but, as I mentioned already in this thread, I'm currently gearing up to re-pass my "code de la route", and one of the questions asks this, and the correst response is new tyres go in front...
Then again, most french cars are front wheel drive, whereas we mostly drive rwd germans and japs.

I know, John, this has bugged me for years. I thought I had heard it from a reputable source, but wasn't sure either. So... I just did some checking. I was looking for reliable sources, not just forums like ours. :-)

The AA say new tyres to the rear unless the vehicle specifically requires otherwise.

Popular Mechanics says always the rear, and links to a video (copyrighted MNA, though I don't know who that is - Michelin North America?) that says the same. Watch the video, it's short but effective, and this *might* explain Debbie's experiences. The video also makes the point that understeer at the front is far easier to detect and deal with than sudden oversteer and spinning.

Did any of the wheels lock up Debbie or did the ABS cut in?

I'm not too sure about that Ian. In older FWD cars as the weight transfers to the front under braking and the rear suspension unloads a brake proportioning valve reduces rear braking to prevent locking up the rear. Now days I guess ABS does the same in most cars. The best tyres should be on the front in my opinion where the better tread will give you the most grip.

Some cars have the tyre information on the inside of the fuel filler flap rather than on the door or door pillar and it may show different options as many cars have multiple tyre choices depending on exact model. Therefore one has still a degree of flexibility on profile, speed rating etc. even while remaining within the manufacturers recommendations.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with second hand tyres. Who knows if they have been badly kerbed or run under or over inflated for long periods? Retreads were popular a long time ago but I remember issues with thread separation from the original carcarss. Plus I would assume retreading changes the original profile of the tyre.

I think good tyres are a primary safety requirement so better safe that sorry IMHO.

Absolutely Bob. Tyres go off, even if just sitting in your garage on a classic car.

use a bubble balancer, bought online pretty reasonably.... costs a lot less than main d'oevre with most garages, and with three vehicles, and living in an area where snow tyres are a must, don't worry, we get our money'sworth.

Zoe, you sound like a man after me own heart, I bet you even have your own tool set :-)) What do you spin them on to balance them? No, don't answer that!!

If you can fit car tyres I'd better not take the piss out of you. lol Seriously, if you can do that you have my utmost respect. I can change my bike tyre but car tyres.........!!!

do you balance dynamically or static once fitted?

lol, if you can change a bike tyre, you can change a car tyre. lol.

Superwoman!! I wouldn't even know where to start - and that is after almost 60 years driving!!

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/buying-guide/when-should-i-change-my-tyres

How old is too old? The five year test

After five years or more in service, your tyres should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year. If the need arises, follow the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer regarding replacing the original equipment tyres. As a precaution, if the tyres have not been replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a tyre sidewall), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.

I buy mine, and fit them myself... saves on a lot of charges.... garages like to take the piss when they see a girl drive in.

Thanks, Zoe!