Tyres, safety issues/legal requirements etc

I recently had to re-pass the code, different makes of tyre ARE permitted, but size must be the same.

Makes sense. Thanks again!!

I did an advanced motorist course in the UK in August. The 7 years was a recommendation given for safety purposes. It’s not a legal requirement.

€111 each - even fitted - is a bit warm for my budget unfortunately - but thanks for the pointer, Bob!!

:-)

Yes, they are all stamped with the date of manufacture, and if you buy on the web and choose a slightly esoteric brand you might find that the tyres they send you are already two or three years old. The thing is it's impossible to check before receiving them.Personally I use winters and summers for about 6 months each, and there's a reasonable turnover so it's not a problem. However, a friend said his winter tyres were seven years old, so I guess it does happen.

graham, visit Eric at Centre autos pneus, rues des mauries in mussidan.. tell him the guy with the red kia recommended him.. he can do some really good deals.. i have the same size on my Sedona, had a pair fitted on thursday last week, 111€ each

Geoff, look closely and it is May 1992 when that law took effect. In fact, UK standards back then to now were different too. The EU ones from last November would appear to overrule them, certainly the AA and RAC give that impression. However, I think I have wasted as much time as this on something that does not actually effect me and tend to think that the larger part of it depends on the examiner and what he/she chooses to believe.

>??... never seen or heard of an expiry date on a tyre, never had to think about it in 40 yrs as a mechanic..

officially... you need a pair of same brand and dimensions on the same axle.. that's the law..

also, there should be only a max of 5mm difference in tread depth on the same axle.. ..

garages love to force the laws issue when changing tyres, but the CT will not fail if there are mixed brands on the same axle.. [Yes, they can if they want to be really pedantic, but read their regs of inspection, it doesn't state brands, only dimensions and they test pressures]

it is physically possible to fit a slightly wider or narrower tyre but not a good idea, stick with the proper sizes.. and very importantly.. the load and speed rating.. don't put any old boot on a ferrai, it'll fall apart, and waste of money putting aston martin boots on a dacia.. To get over the double tyre change stitch up, i take the wheel in.. not the car.. tyre changed, no questions about where it's going.. it's the spare!!

I remain convinced that the issue of "same type on same axle" is being missinterpreted - although I have not seen the "official paper" to which Andrew referres. I believe that the phrase interdit de monter des pneus de structures différents sur un même essieu is clear but question the need to use the "même marque".

Given that most tyre manufacturers offer a wide range of tyres, this "même marque" requirement could, if leterally followed, allow two quite different "models" of tyre (from the same manufacturer (=marque) to be fitted on the same axle.

I think it is like many French pieces of legislation - too quickly introduced and badly researched & presented. (remember the breathalyser!)

Gordon

I didn't ask I thought they were the tyre experts ;-) Maybe I've got too French LOL I just said I didn't want the most expensive nor the cheapest.....I got Bridgestones which I thought was OK. They changed the tyres, I paid the bill and drove it home. I've been driving for 30+ years and apart from checking tyres pressures and seeing the tread was OK I've never thought anymore about them! I will in future :-)

Bloody heck, when a garagiste does not know that, or interprets it differently then it is time to worry. Although the new EU regulations in force since November 2012 stipulate:

Tyres must be compatible with others on the car and generally in good physical condition
Tyres must be correctly inflated to the vehicle manufacturer's recommended pressure
Tread depth must be above the legal minimum which for passenger cars is 1.6mm throughout a continuous band in the centre 3/4 of the tread and around the entire circumference
Not have any lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of the structure.
Not have a cut or tear in excess of 25mm or 10% of the sectional width of the tyre, whichever is the greater, and which is deep enough to reach the ply or cord.
Not have any part of the ply or cord exposed

You don't have to carry a spare and it doesn't have to meet the legal requirements while it's stowed away. It may however affect breakdown cover if you don't carry a serviceable spare.

I have always believed spares were a legal requirement, however apparently it is increasingly common for car manufacturers to provide a non-standard or 'skinny' spare or even simply an emergency tyre sealant and compressor/ inflator pack. French car makers are designing spare wheel compartments out of a number of new models.

Wow, talk about coincidences! My OH has just called to ask me if it is safe to drive with a tyre bulging. She is in Bergerac. I told to take it easy coming home (it is 1200, no garage or anything open until 1400 and several not open because it is Monday anyway) then we'll deal with it after lunch.

A friend had his car imported Cavalier inspected by the DRIRE because Vauxhall were unable to send him the type approval certificate. They complained about the tyre sizes, because I think they weren't mentioned in the handbook, and he had to get four new tyres to enable the car registration to take place. The tyres on the car were the size that had always been fitted by Vauxhall, KwikFit etc, and he had just renewed them before coming to France. Oh well...

Brian, I'm always sceptical but it makes sense :

Article 9 :

Lorsque le code de la route interdit de monter des pneus de structures différents sur un même essieu ( article 3, point 3.2 et 3.3) Il entend selon le Journal Officiel de la CE N°1 129/105 du 14/05/1992 que les pneus doivent être à la fois de :

• même marque
  • même dimension
  • même catégorie d’utilisation ( ex. route, neige, tout terrain).
  • même structure : radiale ou diagonale
  • même code de vitesse
  • même indice de capacité de charge

Pour les pneumatiques hiver, la capacité de vitesse peut être, licitement, inférieure à celle des pneumatiques d’origine, mais la vitesse de roulage doit alors être adaptée à cette limite inférieure.

When we imported our Landcruiser Amazon 10 years ago the import people noticed (from the CT?) that the car had 285mm section tyres fitted instead of the correct 295mm section.

The vehicle was called in for an inspection at some kind of vehicle inspection center (sorry, it was a long time ago now and I forget where it was)

They took 5 mins to examine the car and pronounce it 'fit' and the paperwork was rubber stamped.

They never did fully explain what the problem was with the tyres BUT they were happy and it went on to pass many CT's through the years without a problem.

The quickest search on the internet comes up at half your 600€ figure (ie 60€+fitting each)

I was never too bothered by the speed ratings because I was hardly going to be driving at 180kmh.

Until, that is, I went to Germany.

But in fact the tyres specified in the handbook for my Touran are indeed V, 240kmh, while the top speed of the car (as I verified) is 220kmh.

speed rating is important if only to safeguard against any future insurance claim. I would assume that one needs to fit a tyre with a speed rating equal to or higher than that specified in the driver's handbook.

Size should be as stated in the driver's handbook - again for insurance - but I would guess that most CT centres do not worry too much about a change in the tyre profile.

The "same make & model" requirement is an "old wives tale" promoted by the industry to sell more tyres. It was introduced in the days of the changeover from cross ply to radial ply. Many (perhaps most) CT test centres are not clear on this.

In fact, companies change the tread pattern quite often so one would often need to change two tyres in the event of one puncture. It is a scam and luckilly my CT centre is enlightened on this matter;

Regards

geoff

Andrew, pneu123 fitted the same kind since they did both tyres on the same axle but then tried on the line that I ought to have the others changed to the same make. I said nothing. I have just checked with our service garage when I had my pre-CT service two weeks back and he assured me that that is not necessary and that pneu123 were just trying it on. Then he went on to say that when we are told that it must be the same make on the axle that is also not right. The tyres must be the same type and in exactly the same condition and that is all.