U.k.registered car tax

Hi.We are moving to the Herault area within the next two weeks.I have a left hand drive U.K. registered car.The road tax expires at the end of this month (September) Does anyone know if I should pay for another six months U.K. Road tax. Or do I just let it lapse?? All help appreciated!!!


Steven Clark (New Member)

Steven I hope you know that you can officially only drive on UK plates for 6 months in France, after that you'll need to import it officially.

Thanks Suzanne.This makes perfect sense. We are are awaiting exchange of contracts on our uk house sale.It has been a very stressful few weeks and someone such as yourself thinking with a clear head really helps!!!


My understanding is unless you've declared your car as Exported or SORN in the UK then you are still liable for road tax and they'll chase you for it at your old address. So export the car with the UK (see below from DVLA website) or carry on paying UK road tax until you've re-registered it in France and then Export it.

Taking your vehicle abroad for more than 12 months (permanent export)

When a vehicle registered in the United Kingdom (UK) is taken out of the country for 12 months or more, it’s regarded as being permanently exported from the UK.

You can tell DVLA by filling in the section ‘Notification of Permanent Export’ (V5C/4) of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C), and send it to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BD. Keep the rest of the registration certificate, as you may need this to re-register the vehicle abroad. Your vehicle will become subject to the legal requirements of the new country when exported.

If you don’t have a registration certificate you’ll need to get a certificate of permanent export (V561). Download and complete the V756 ‘Application for certificate or permanent export’ and send to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AG.

With the speed of French bureaucracy, I would tax it for another 6 months until you complete the re-registration process, that way you are fully legal. Simply not re-taxing could get you in all sorts of difficulties in the UK and with your insurance, which I presume for the moment is UK insurance.