UK by-elections 2023

I agree with your sentiment but surely tongue in cheek for the owner of a recently purchased new Audi ICE supercharger which probably cost as much as 2 battery powered cars. :thinking:

1 Like

I dont. But the methods used. If coercion or threatening doesnt work then we will tax the arse of you.
Anyhow Sad IQ wont be in power longer than necessary, if the next one has the cahony’s then the ULEZ will be gone

1 Like

Oh, so why do you hate little children then?

I dont, What brings you to this conclusion or supposition

1 Like

No its called hypocrisy

2 Likes

Oh, I see. It must be the unemployed who claim sickness benefit because they can’t breathe that have pissed you off, then?

1 Like

Exactly as Gareth says, Crit’Air is both too weak and when it does (rarely) kick in too draconian.

I take your point but the decision was carefully considered based on the fact that EVs are not as green as the industry would like you to think, and they don’t meet all of my driving needs in the way an ICE does. A hybrid would have done so but there aren’t any with decent performance that are also affordable.

Oh, and the S3 was *less* by a considerable factor than any of the EV’s I considered.

Unfortunately, left to their own devices people will tend to do nothing.

Really, childish twisting of politician’s names into insults does nothing to strengthen your argument.

It won’t.

Oh, and it’s cahones

Cojones, surely ? (missing the point entirely).

3 Likes

I think either spelling is accepted but yes, those too :slight_smile:

Why not, we seem to be getting bogged down on that anyway.

1 Like

Sadly, that’s normal on SF from people of all political inclinations.

2 Likes

Like Nick Handycock for instance? :thinking: :smiley:

1 Like

Indeed :slight_smile:

Billy I give up, such hypocrisy. So as I read it from the above the décision was Financial and performance and nothing else.

In that case I think you need to read more carefully…

2 Likes

oh I did more than once.

FFS I started a whole thread to debate this, genuinely interested in other people’s views and experiences as I tried to decide which way to go, it was emphatically NOT based on one (or even two) factors alone.

No, the decision was that - as I now do only modest annual mileage - it would take me 6-7 years to break even given the massive CO2 emissions premium that building an EV has over and above a similar sized ICE, in fact more in the UK where electricity generation still involves burning quite a lot of carbon.

Add in concerns regarding the state of the UK’s charging infrastructure and the fact that real world range is not what I need for trips to France and it was clear that an EV was not the right choice for me at this point in time

Finally - why the hell should finance, especially, not be an important factor in my decision? Particularly given your defence of those affected by paying for the ULEZ. Also, I’d love to know which EV I can buy two of for the same price as the Audi.

As to performance - well, the S3 is slower 0-60 than most of the EVs I looked at, so where does that figure in your tirade?

Edit: Come to that we’re currently debating the ULEZ and, of course, the S3 is more than compatible and is fitted with a particulate filter (despite being petrol, but they are becoming more common on petrol engines).

1 Like

Wow, finally something we can agree on. I am sure that the consideration wasnt based on only two factors, an investment like this normally involves many more. As to the finance side of things, it certainly would be in my thoughts. Performance, is what you mentioned, and from other posts you have made, you like me do like to have a tickle of the throttle now and again. So well done.

1 Like

Scrappage scheme money was all used up a long time ago. I was on the point of applying, phoned them and they told me budget was all gone and no more coming.

The scheme also was very restricted as to who could apply by the time I came across it - not only just for residents of London Boroughs but you had to be practically indigent to be able to apply eg on Income Support.

Not much to help the small tradesman providing services in London but quite possibly commuting from the Home Counties, who doesn’t earn the money to replace his van.

Isn’t there supposed to be new money for the expansion?

Documented here

They say that has changed, emphasis mine:

Well, yes but you have to draw the line somewhere.

As I said, I completely agree that the scheme will result in problems for some people, in particular those who own diesel vehicles; even my old 2006 Celica meets ULEZ but Euro 5 diesel’s are still around in large numbers and they do not.

At the end of the day things change, any of these old vehicles could break down and leave their owners with just as big a headache as ULEZ - at least one could see that coming a good way ahead.