UK by-elections 2023

I don’t know, the greatest act of self harm in a generation is something that’s difficult to forgive and forget.

Edited to add: I accept that it’s done, don’t get me wrong but the damage that’s being done was predicted and I think the vote really exposed the dark underbelly of British society (not an anti-Brit comment for clarity) that resulted in my wife being told to go back to where you came from, for example. Even my own parents were minded to vote for it due to those bloody immigrants. I had to point to their daughter-in-law before they got the point.
So, yes, I’m bitter and it will take some time before I’m not.

3 Likes

I am so sorry you and your family had this experience.

As I see it, Brexit was actually the culmination of years of that wretch Farage having given licence to voice hatred and racist nonsense. It’s no good Brexiters now all wailing they were misled by the press and Brexit campaign. There is a deeper truth in that long latent and widespread phobias and prejudices in UK society were directly reawoken by UKIP. Some of the same are now picketing the coast in Dorset against migrant asylum seekers.

Drumming up fear and hatred towards other human beings is not only revealing the underbelly, it is making it dominant.

1 Like

That is not unreasonable, especially bearing in mind how your wife has been treated.

At present British society is still divided, although I think the division is a little less sharp than it once was. I’m hoping that there can be a spirit of reconcilliation between the 2 sides for the future of Britain, and also for Europe.

3 Likes

That would depend on the"winning side" seeking loser’s consent. Given the closeness of the result, the drive to the most extreme position possible seems to be intended to drive the greatest division possible.

I agree with the general tenor of our conclusions: that the UK is becoming increasingly polarised and unequal.

France isn’t much different, from what I can see, but I’m no expert.

[London ultra low emission zone - #20 by Susannah]

Another by-election incoming…?

1 Like

Wow, that’s telling her and long overdue. What a complete waste of space that woman is.

5 Likes

She won’t take a blind bit of notice though.

Depends or whether you believe the radio ads about 9 out of 10 already comply or you live amonst the natives and know its less than that and where pensioners are concerned its a worry.

1 Like

It would be really interesting to see an audit for the charges that have come in so far, they tout set up costs and they cannot reveal information as it commercially sensitive, but we are talking about councils and the government here so I will bet it’s not all going on reducing pollution, there will be a money black hole somewhere in there and someone will be making money out of it.

3 Likes

They have to respond to FOI’s its a law and I am sure relevant groups will do so.

I’ve seen figures posted for the number of fines issued and broken down by those who paid quickly so had the reduced fine or had the full whack.

I don’t know however if the revenue from the fines is ring fenced to only be used for certain things or it just goes into the bigger pot.

She is about as useful as Anne Widdecombe.

Or Diane Abbott

1 Like

None of it goes on reducing pollution.

commonly known as TfL or Khan’s pocket.

2 Likes

@Rocam - you really should try to avoid having your prejudices do your thinking for you.

If you want to know what the ULEZ charges get spent on look here:

Your implication that it goes in Khan’s “back pocket” is to suggest that he is corrupt - so I hope that you have evidence of that.

But, really, WTF?

Is there anyone in the room who thinks reducing emissions and air pollution is a *bad* thing?

The problem is that we are increasingly reluctant to do the right thing for our fellow man, or the planet if it involves us in the slightest inconvenience whatsoever.

When did we throw humanity away?

4 Likes

And while we’re at it; the ULEZ was Johnson’s idea and the expansion was at Grant Shapps’ insistence.

3 Likes

Oh dear :rofl::hushed:

Humanity was thrown away when UK charges ordinary people so much they can no longer afford to go to work. Then the UK pay tax credits and benefits for not working. That way lies madness does it not