UK christmas bonus for pensioners

Isn’t it because the pension is classed as an exportable benefit so entitled to the UK bonus.

So that’s what this random pittance is for…

Don’t celebrate. Had you been resident in the UK you’d have had the winter fuel allowance that was stolen from UK pensioners in France - only - plus further extra payments in the past year or so taking it to at least £900 extra in the year “cost of living” (eg fuel) additional support amounts paid.

Meanwhile how dare you ask for more than the £11 Christmas bonus.

Not following it closely, but it was all on moneysavingexpert as the various extra amounts became payable.

Apologies in advance for the slight absence of Christmas cheer with this tax angle… In the UK it seems that the Christmas bonus isn’t taxable for UK residents. In France it appears that their social security equivalent is also not taxable. Yet in theory, receipt of the UK Christmas bonus in France would be taxable in France, in the absence of any specific exemption?

I wonder how many people receiving this immense gift from the UK trouble the scorers, and report this as income, or is there some special rule to the contrary? I must admit I’d never come across the Christmas bonus. Just curious!

(NB pure envy on my part - I’m 7 years off getting a state pension)…

I’ve always included it in mine, makes no difference to the final result and I am always aware that, longterm residency or no, I am a guest here and can be chucked out for any valid reason.

Well although a paltry amount, I have already written it down in my accounts page for inclusion in the next return to the Impôts here, not worth any aggro for such a small amount and I am well under any tax threshold anyway. Dosn’t pay to try and outdo the authorities, they will get you in the end and as David says, we are guests here.

1 Like

Very many years away from my pension, but I certainly wouldn’t get hung up about whether or not to inc the £11+ on the tax return. It’s almost a rounding error and probably overshadowed for most by the variation in exchange rates used by many each year. Very many years ago I had a very good boss who always advised us to ‘not sweat the small stuff’, and it has remained in my mind ever since!

If you’re a pre-brexit resident you get it.

That can’t be quite right as I know @JaneJones and her OH were resident in France well before then.

Resident, but not pensioners pre-brexit. Perhaps that’s the difference?

Fran became a pensioner, as a French resident, in 2003.
For me the date was 2007.

I don’t think that sounds right either or @mark wouldn’t recently have got his (unless he’s a lot older than I think he is, of course!)

1 Like

Resident since 2014, OH reached retirement age Dec 2020, I’ve still got 5 years to go!. Never received any of the extras from uk but then we have never claimed them either. However we have received french energie cheques, varying amounts depending on our total income from private pensions. We live in 03 and it dropped to minus 2 over the weekend but we keep😊

:rofl:
I "applied "for my state pension a few months ago and was eligible for it at the end of November. 2 days later I got my €11.53 paid directly into my french account. Gonna spend it on a bottle of port for Christmas, gout be damned!!

3 Likes

Got my princely €11.53 on Friday!

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: Of course, if anyone feels that the sum of 11,53€ is toooo paltry… please feel free to send it in my direction :crossed_fingers: :+1: where it will be cherished and spent with care :wink: :wink:
Actually, this sum is more than OH and I have spent on our Prezzies to each other this Christmas… small is beautiful… so we bought each other a pack of chocolates at around 9€ each pkt … safely hidden away until the Big Day…

Well done! Now spoilt for choice on what to spend it all on…

I first got my pension and moved to France after Brexit and I get it (this year too), and I’ve always declared it for tax.

Perhaps. I was both. :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyone who hasn’t received the £10 Christmas Bonus … and is wondering “why not??” can surely ask the UK Govt… as it’s quite possible there’s a glitch in their sytem… who knows :wink: :wink:

1 Like