UK christmas bonus for pensioners

Very curious as to who has received this and who hasn’t.

The theory is that none of us who are permanently resident in France are eligible, but it seems that some are getting this paltry top up. I’m wondering what the dufference is?

Apparently we get it too.

As does Shiba, and Stella

We don’t.

1 Like

When did that “theory” come in ???

We’ve received it every year for yonks… automatically sent to our French Bank Account… just like our Pensions.

EDIT: just seen that @JaneJones link is dated 2020…
Quite possibly another Brexit Gift :wink: for those who settle(d) in Europe “after the deadline”…

1 Like

It’s a Bonus for Pensioners (and folk with some Benefits) … are you in that category ??

I received it (and last year as well).

1 Like

Yup, mine’s arrived in my French a/c so I expect OH’s is now in his UK a/c.

So far as I’m aware we’ve had it every year.

1 Like

We got £11.53 each yesterday. I always thought it was a leveling up thing caused by irregular payment over 12 months.
Edited to say the grand sum was 11.53€ not £ .

2 Likes

Mine arrived yesterday too. My partner doesn’t get one as he doesn’t receive his state pension yet.

Is your state pension paid directly into your French bank account @JaneJones ? My “bonus” arrived separately but on the same day as the pension :thinking:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: £10 “Xmas Bonus” has been “translated” into whatever is the going-rate of € s each year…

Pensions changed into €s will fluctuate according to whatever is the going-rate at the time of payment… so each pension payment can (and often does) vary… and of course DWP pay every 4 weeks, which gives us 13 payments per year.

1 Like

Yes, now pensioners, and for OH it was before Brexit. And both paid into UK accounts.

How strange that you’ve never received the £10 Christmas Bonus… I can’t fathom it out.

and we used to receive the Winter Heating Allowance before UK ruled that France was "too hot in Winter… " :wink:

Perishing today… but the logs are blazing… :+1:

1 Like

It was possible at one time to choose the UK state pension to be paid every 4 weeks or monthly but whether this is still possible isn’t clear. However, it is still possible to select weekly payments. There is a proposed change for all payments to be on a fixed date each month i.e, 12 payments.

Just checked my CA account and we’ve both got €11.53, which is a result as I was only due my state pension 3 days ago. TBH I wasn’t expecting it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve looked it up - for curiosity

To get a Christmas Bonus you must be present or ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Gibraltar during the qualifying week.

Presume nobody was present in the UK this week?

You must also get at least one of the following benefits in the ‘qualifying week’ - this is normally the first full week of December:

a long list, but has ‘state pension’.

There’s nothing which states the bonus will be paid to UK residents in the EU. So a mystery?

edit - I wonder if it’s to do with people don’t lodge a double tax treaty form in the UK for the pension, because there’s no need - only people with government pensions would lodge a form - and maybe that stops the payment?

Or maybe it’s people resident before 2021 who get it?

Yes, it’s crawled to an amazing high of 4C today , and it’s blowing a gale :cold_face:
We haven’t seen this sort of cold here before until January.

I don’t recall being offered any choice… just grateful to get a pension at all… :wink: :wink:
Never thought I’d make it… it always seemed a lifetime away :wink: :wink:

1 Like

I can only assume that the ‘qualifying week’ was before 2002 when I retired. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Before 2007 for me. Interestingly, OH only became eligible after we moved here. Perhaps he was “present” on a trip back to the UK??? :thinking: