UK driving licenses no longer valid in EU after Brexit?

OK, hopefully sanity will prevail and a deal will be struck but with the ultra Brexiteers still baying for a no deal this could be one to keep an eye out for.

1 Like

Hi Paul

sounds like now be the best time for Brits to change to French licences??

If youā€™re permanently resident then probably.

For us (I say us but are there many more than just me on the forum?) 2nd home owners itā€™s going to be a pain if the only way we can drive in France is to apply for IDPs every year.

Itā€™s going to be a real pain for those that live in France but regularly fly back to spend time with family in the UK because from what I hear itā€™s next to impossible to get UK insurers to cover anyone with a non-UK licence. That could mean you wonā€™t be able to drive family membersā€™ cars in the UK.

@anon88169868 @Anna

Paul, Annaā€¦ I hadnā€™t thought of thatā€¦ going back to UKā€¦ :frowning:

but what happened before UK joined EUā€¦ how did foreigners get onā€¦

Taking a car abroad was quite a big deal for Brits prior to 1973 wasnā€™t it, you had to faff about with green cards and stuff. I suppose it was the same for foreign visitors, and if they immigrated they had to get UK licences. Also as I recall, you used to be able to insure UK cars for ā€œany driverā€, not sure you can do that any more? I get the impression that itā€™s named drivers only and they need copies of their driving licences. But that last sentence could be rubbish, I think thatā€™s what Iā€™ve heard people say but I wasnā€™t particularly taking note at the time.

Do you mean now or after Brexit? Iā€™ve been back to the UK a few times since changing my licence to a French one and never had problems being added to my Mumā€™s insurance. Sheā€™s been with a few different insurance companies during that time as well.

1 Like

Oh thatā€™s good. Iā€™d somehow got the idea that it was difficult now.

2 Likes

It may have been easier because each time it was for less than a week. Bizarrely, on one occasion she received a small refund of her premium because adding me reduced her premium. No idea why and she didnā€™t ask, just banked the cheque.

Not necessarially. We might be required to change our licences within a given time frame after Brexit but is very unlikely that a UK licence will be removed from the list of licences that can be exchanged for a French licence. That has nothing to with membership of the EU, itā€™s more to do with the rigor of the test you passed.

Surely though if the EU did this then the UK would do the same. That would mean problems for any driver from the EU as well. You really think that would happen?

Who knows - the article was making the point that we have (hastily) signed up to the 1968 convention to try to make sure that British vehicle registrations remain valid and Uk driving licences can be used - at least with an IDP - post Brexit.

Iā€™m assuming a deal will be done and it will include recognition of UK driving licenses but the situation is sufficiently volatile that I wouldnā€™t want to put money on it.

1 Like

How do you mean, ā€œif the EU did thisā€? :confused:
Itā€™s not something the EU is going to ā€œdoā€. Itā€™s a potential consequence of the UKā€™s decision to leave the EU. The current agreements that make lots of things easy, will no longer be in place. So unless other agreements are made to replace them, then all kinds of things we take for granted now will potentially become more complicated or even impossible.

3 Likes

This seems to be a thing that Brexit supporters do not ā€œgetā€. We are voluntarily pulling out of the EU and with that pulling out of all sorts of agreements from which we gain benefit as a member of that club - if we do not make separate arrangements to ensure that our drivers can drive our vehicles in the EU post Brexit, or or pilots can fly our planes it is not the EU ā€œpunishingā€ us - it is our own fault for not thinking it through and checking the parachute worked before jumping out of the plane.

6 Likes

Just as an aside - I recently changed my knackered ā€˜legacyā€™ French licence for the EU card version - really easy online process via the ANTS website and replacement licence in my hands in 6 days.

1 Like

Simonā€¦ how did the photo bit work out. I would be thrilled to change my pink French licence for a cardā€¦ if I can use a decent photoā€¦ :grinning:

Really simple Stella - you either go to one of the Photobooths that give you an ID Code (i.e. instead of the actual photo - listed on the ANTS site) or you send your photo in by post with a downloaded form linked to your application ID. I sent the actual photo as our nearest 21st century booth is miles away!! Still got my new licence in 6 days!

1 Like

Yesā€¦ I meantā€¦ for taking the photoā€¦ can I look a little decentā€¦ my hair is long and if not pinned back I look like a smurf/beatnik or both at onceā€¦ without my glassesā€¦ I am not necessarily staring in the right direction :laughing: and without a hint of a smileā€¦ I look nothing like me at allā€¦:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

LOL ! Stella Iā€™m sure youā€™ll but just fine! In any case itā€™ll give the foncs a good giggle !!! :wink:

1 Like

The headline on the newspaper article was misleading (which ones arenā€™t these days).

The advisory note that the EU issued is aimed at hauliers and commercial drivers, it doesnā€™t actually mention private drivers or privavtely registered vehicles.

Having said that, until the UK decides, and agrees with the EU, what the future UK/EU relationship will be we wonā€™t know will or wonā€™t be happening.

At the moment we donā€™t even know for certain whether the limited protections in so-called ā€œphase 1ā€ agreement will be implemented.