UK Election anyone?

Well, not all of us do.

I think that we will get the government the majority deserve, which is fine - for the majority. The rest of us will have to put up with the whole stinking mess until the plebs (naturally I am merely borrowing Latin vocabulary here, nothing pejorative) wake up to the fact that they have been conned.

Don’t despair! The Tories had a 20+ point lead in all the polls (28 in one) when May called the last election, and Labour brought it back to virtually even during the campaign - mostly in the last week or two before election day.

2 Likes

I heard Gove taking the by-now-putrid “oven-ready” deal out of its slimy bag again, waving it’s unappetising and mysterious contents aloft to tempt is to “get it done”.

It’s time surely that some bright journalistic spark dusted off the old “pig-in-poke” simile, i.e. “would you buy a sackful of what might be a big lump of long dead road-kill dog from an itinerant self-styled boucher, sight unseen, 'cos the merchant insists he can’t open the sack in case the pig jumps out and runs off squealing”?

You wouldn’t? Surely you trust him not to sell you a pig in a poke?

That’s Johnson and his “deal”.

1 Like

Unfortunately Corbyn is polling even lower than against May - it is going to be a big uphill climb

And he was rubbish last night - any half competent politician should be able to rip Johnson to shreds. Once again he (de Pfeffell) was allowed to get away with just lying with no challenge either from the “moderator” or Corbyn.

Just a shambles.

There was a good comment on Twitter - “Johnson’s deal is about as ‘oven ready’ as a cow wandering around a field” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another startling insight into media bias in Monbiot’s latest:

54% of Conservative party members believe Islam is “generally a threat to the British way of life”. Islamophobia is a genuine majority sentiment within the party, whose leader has repeatedly made racist and Islamophobic statements… I searched Google for mentions of Labour antisemitism by the BBC, and found 7,810 returns. But a search for BBC mentions of Conservative Islamophobia delivered only 1,420 results.
(The context here, outlined earlier in the article , is that there is no objective evidence that Labour has ‘an antisemitism problem’ at all - accusations of antisemitism (that includes unfounded accusations) affect a fraction of 1% of Labour members - far LESS than the general population.)

1 Like

Forgot to put in the link:

1 Like

Extremism of any kind is generally a threat to an accepted way of life.
ISIS and Al Shabab in Africa are dangerous Islamic terrorist groups and it now seems that, because of Trump’s withdrawal of troops in Syria, that ISIS groups are reforming. We have the problem of UK citizens who have gone to fight for ISIS.
I think that declaring a Caliphate is showing that you intend everyone to be subject to your own way of thinking and living.
Young Isrealis are showing their displeasure at the Orthodox Jews who have, up to now, been exempt from doing military service and rely on the rest of the population to pay and protect them whilst they pray and study.
Religious and ethnic groups which integrate and appreciate the liberties they find in our countries are to be welcomed, but we ignore the others at our peril.

I agree! The conservatives are definitely a threat to our way of life.

Not sure what your post has to do with media bias though :s

2 Likes

This is so depressing and predictable. What saddens me is that not all Brits are like this but we will all be tarred with the same brush - I truly hope that it does not happen but one could understand, and hardly blame, anti-British sentiment across the EU given how we are treating EU citizens and their families who live and work in the UK.

1 Like

Will this impact on UK citizens living in the EU who wish to repatriate to UK?

https://www.euronews.com/2019/11/22/pm-johnsons-conservatives-to-raise-property-purchase-tax-for-non-uk-residents

It might mean people have to rent for a bit. I’m not sure whether it will have the claimed benefit anyway as I’m sure there will be ways around it.

3 Likes

That news belongs in the “brightened my day” thread :smiley::+1::notes::musical_note::star_struck:

1 Like

Sad to say that I’m one of those who have wasted much of today hanging around for the launch of the incredible sulk’s manifesto…wish I hadn’t bothered…

1 Like

Voting forms arrived today!

A tad sophisticated for some but it speaks to me!

1 Like

Why do you read the guardian, it’s like the bbc pro labour.
In the end at least the conservatives are putting forward a manifesto that can be done and raise the Uk debt to a serviceable amount.
Labour can and will bankrupt the Uk, the national grid is already moving assets abroad out of their hands. To raise debt by 300 billion on top of the 2.1 trillion debt( think correct) the Uk has will bankrupt us.
The Liberal Democrat’s can try to block brexit but not really put forward a economic package.
Anyway we are all stuck with macron, France and Italy have been warned their debts are exceeding the EU regulations just last week.

She probably reads it becos it is one of the few papers wot can still string a sentence togevver without being biased and paywelled.

6 Likes

Is it strange to ask that if the Tories can raise the debt to acceptable levels, why have they failed so far, to do so ?

4 Likes

I debunked the Tory debt myth in another thread recently:

2 Likes