UK Election anyone?

Gina Miller’s website re tactical voting

1 Like

To follow up on Graham’s post - here’s the link again to swapmyvote - https://www.swapmyvote.uk/

I feel it is unfair for students in their university town voting in an election which could affect the residents for 5 years, but they may only be partially resident for a year. This is a tricky subject that should be debated.

Sadly, everything is being pushed through without sufficient scrutiny… there will be winner and losers due to rushed decisions … and I’m not only talking about the Elections…

Students never know when there will be a General Election. Historically, most of them will be leaving their family home after graduation, so it is a thorny problem all round.

Interesting - do you think that the local MP makes a significant change to an area or that they just vote in HoC.

I only once ever saw our MP - on election day walking towards poling Station!

A fat lot of difference that will make. But good for you anyway. I have never voted Labour in my life either, nor will I ever.

It’s an old article (a week is a long time in politics!) but becoming more relevant as each day passes…

They really are a shower of shit.

Ann Widecombe is by no means my favourite person but being as she is an honourable and highly religious Christian woman, I tend to believe her when she says she was contacted by Number 10 and offered a job…

4 Likes

6 Likes

Me too.

1 Like

Agreed, she tells it straight, (not that I like the woman much.)

2 Likes

This would be spectacular…

3 Likes

I rather despair of the current election - it is easy for the Tories to lie again and again because hardly any of the media or interviewers call them out on it, and extremely hard to get the right message out to counter it, especially once the idea has “seeded”.

Here’s Gove lying about EU citizens access to healthcare

It’s good that the Guardian points out the fallacy - but an article in the Guardian is largely preaching to the choir.

2 Likes

Nothing other than he deserves.

2 Likes

You’re so right Paul.
But have you read the Bannon, Cummings, etc right-wing theory on this? - basically that it doesn’t matter if you lie or if you’re caught out lying, because the objective is not to be believed, but to create the impression that it’s all lies, that nothing can be relied on - so rhetoric rather than evidence or sound argument becomes what cuts through.

1 Like

I haven’t specifically read either (in any Case Cumming’s “work” is hard to read) but I know the theory.

The problem is that politics used to be run with, effectively, a gentleman’s agreement as to how it would all work and, as such, was always vulnerable to an attack by those who don’t follow the rules.

It is said that those in power who simply lie are doing it purely as a mark of their power - ordinary people have to account for their lies, the powerful do it with impunity.

The depressing thing is that this is true - logically if Johnson (say) is caught time and time again the conclusion one should come to is that nothing he says is reliable but, as you say, they have managed to poison the whole well.

And, as I said, the lie is easy - it’s not as if you have to do any research to back up your message - but refuting every lie becomes fatiguing, they wear down the honest who must work to prove each lie and way too many people just lap it up, uncritically.

<Deity> the UK has become the a***hole of the world (beaten only by the US at present, but apparently the special relationship means if the US becomes an a***hole, we must follow suit).

4 Likes
2 Likes

Basically Geof, the British public are so gullible they just love being lied to by Boris.
Richard Littlejohn of the Daily Wail announced that he knew Boris was lying and declared “… but I’m loving it!”
Too many cheese big macs me thinks :thinking: