Uk electric car travelling in France

Hi my newest motability car will be all electric with a type 2 charger. Is it true that French charging points are a type 3? We have downloaded different apps and bought a couple of French charging cards, to give us a good choice hopefully if being able to charge. I also read that theres a cable with a 3pin plug that would enable you to charge from inside a property if you couldnt find an available charging point. I have a French house nr Confolens, and if that was true i wondered if there was a 2pin plug cable, so i could charge the car from the house. If this is correct. Where can I buy one and what would it be called in French. There are cables on Amazon uk for 3pin. Is there a 2pin equiv on amazon.fr? Which is the most popular chargecard in France? We get the car in April and travel on May 10th. It seems confusing as we are new to EVs.

I hope not as for safety you stil want an earth pin, 3 pins still. Type 3, are you referring to level 3, the speed of the charging due to the available power?

Most of the EU are type 2 with the exception of Nissan ChadeMo or Tesla.
A good app that assists with planing a journey with your exact car is Abetterrouteplanner.

1 Like

Chargemap is the one that we and our French friends and neighbours use. It will tell you which chargers are available where.

There are still type 3 charger outlets here but Type 2 is the dominant, as it is in the UK. Type 3 was discontinued in 2015ā€¦

I donā€™t know what your vehicle is but it will also have a rapid charging connection, which will most likely be CCS. These are the dominant rapid charging connection in Europe, inc. UK.

The car should come with a low power ā€œgrannyā€ charge which can (in your case) be plugged into a UK 13A domestic outlet. You can use this in France via a suitable adaptor, by which I mean a properly made lead with a French plug on one end & 13A socket on the other. A crappy travel adaptor is NOT to be used. A competent person can make one of these, or there are sites that will sell them to you.

Modern French outlets are three pin too. You must never use a true (old) 2-pin as that will not be earthed.

You could buy a proper granny lead with a French plug incorporated. A quick search has come up with this expensive variable charge option but it does show what I mean.

Itā€™s probably worth buying a Chargemap card for use here, although increasingly you can pay with debit or credit cards.

P.S. Amazon does have a bewildering choice.

That is a slightly confusing statement. To be clearā€¦

A vehicle with ChadeMo rapid charging will also have a slower AC Type 2 (or, historically, maybe a Type 1 or 3) inlet.

A vehicle with CCS rapid charging will have a Type 2 inlet by default as CCS uses that connector for the charge control circuit - the rapid charge bit is the two fat pins outside of the Type 2 socket.

All explained hereā€¦

1 Like

I really do hope you get sorted, and safely, @Blondie-3862 , but threads like these leave me so pleased that I am likely to end my days without ever being in an electric car. The exception would be the local funeral director but, happily, I see he is still on trusty diesel. :joy:

I canā€™t believe how such nonsense has been allowed in the first place, a bit like all the diesel pumps from here to Dieppe had different nozzles. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Itā€™s really not like that. As with any new technology things take a while to settle down.

The standard within Europe will end up being Type 2 for AC charging, & CCS for rapid DC. Everything else will fall away over time.

1 Like

Hahaha says the man who would have used the fat diesel pump :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Its just new stuff, takes a while like betamax/ vhs and now we have solid state recorders.

1 Like

Iā€™m with Spardo on this. I too am more than happy with the simplicity of our petrol car. If the day arrives when an electric car is a necessity then hopefully all this crap will have been sorted by then.

1 Like

There really isnt much crap to it. The only marginal bugbear is needing a couple of different tags/cards where contactless would be far easier.

I guess youā€™re only talking about charging v filling up with hydrocarbons.

An EV is way simpler than an ICE vehicle - thousands less moving parts & a lot less brake wear. This is why their servicing needs are minimal (= cheaper).

Anyway, eventually all chargers will accept normal debit or credit cards.

It really doesnā€™t take more than 5 minutes to understand different connectors; the cards for payment take a bit longer, but not much.
Funny really because I always thought it did matter which pump you chose to put fuel in your car? And wasnā€™t there oil or something too?
:joy:

4 Likes

Last time I stopped for fuel, Iā€™m there were 4 different hoses and you had to be sure you picked the right one or you could end up paying a lot more, or even damage your car. Iā€™m pretty sure some donā€™t even fit all ICE cars. :wink:

1 Like

Itā€™s hardly rocket science to choose the right pump :roll_eyes:

Nor the right connector since it wouldnā€™t fit in the hole.

1 Like

Ha ha the key word there is ā€˜eventuallyā€™ , small comfort if you are stuck somewhere with the wrong card or nozzle, or plug 3 pin, 2 pin and donā€™t forget about the earth. :rofl:

and

a lot less brake wear.

Brakes? Brakes? Hardly ever use them, just for stopping, but an old boss of mine back in the stone age once said to me in answer to my comment about them said ā€˜I donā€™t pay you to stop, I pay you to goā€™. :rofl:

I take it you did move from another country to France? Surprised you did that because of the crap change of plugs and sockets, should have stayed put untill there was a std for all. But you managed it didnt you.

Diesel and petrol pumps have always been the same, apart from the haute debit ones which are bigger and only for use with lorries, and we arenā€™t daft enough to mix them up. :laughing:

And @EmilyA , it takes you 5 minutes plus choosing the right card :astonished: :roll_eyes:
How long does it take for a full charge after you have worked all that out? :thinking:

1 Like

While my post was very much tongue in cheek, the roaring trade in emergency fuel tank drainage services (at least in the UK) would suggest different.