UK Gov announce changes to driving licences

That is what I thought Courtney Wilding. :(

Sadly we didn't realise this before we moved to France permanently. So for those of us that have expired photos when the paper part is no longer used it must mean we must get a French driving license?

Does anyone know what is involved? I assume here in Dordogne we must go to Perigueux?

Hi Nicole,
You can only renew your photocard licence if you are resident (and can prove it) in the UK.

When your photo card expires, if you cannot prove residency in the UK the DVLA will not renew it. And as the paper one is no longer valid, effectively you will not have a valid licence to show.
It says on the webpage that the paper licence will no longer be valid unless it is an old type paper licence that was issued pre the introduction of the photo and counterpart version.
Have a great day.
C.

Here we have applied for French replacement licences a while ago and are (of course) patiently waiting. I decided to do it because mine would have expired in 2018 and then the UK requires two yearly medicals which they are tightening up on. The announcement about the end of paper licences appeared about this time last year along with the data exchange with other European countries that will now begin by using speed camera busts to fine people and have the offences put on their records cross borders then move on through a list of other popular moves. The paper is being replaced by an all EU plus others in the Schengen zone database. So, basically we can tear it up and bin it come June. The catch is that although the photocard can be renewed well after it runs out, in fact that too is changing and the amount of time will be reduced so that if you find yourself with a licence a year out of data you might (I don't actually know but speculate) that it may mean being re-examined or something along those lines.

The other thing about the camera business is, although nothing has been announced, that it looks like cars that are kept out of the UK and not re-registered, CT and all in the required six months required and invalid MOTs especially will be used an passed on. That we heard from an insurance agent friend who has had enquiries from UK expats about how to insure their cars who asked his company for advice. We did not keep UK cars ourselves but know of a couple of them that have not been out of France for quite a few years but their owners appear not to know or care about changes.

I have a UK address.

Suzanne, so it was no problem giving them a French address for your UK photo card?

The problem arises if you turn up at the car desk when the DVLA are out of hours - they can't check without the paper part. So what happens? You can't get the car. I wonder if all the car hire companies and the DVLA will have rolled out the new procedures to check with the DVLA for car hire by June or whether it will be chaos?!

Thanks for this, it was a reminder for me to update my address. I've just updated mine and they took the photo and signature from my passport and are sending out a new photocard. It cost £14 to use the passport info.

What happens if the photo on the photo card has expired but the paper part hasn't?

My husband and I both recently realised our photos have expired but we have had no problems with this and in fact just last week hired a car at Stansted with both of us as drivers with no problems. :/

If you are disqualified then you should not even have the photocard, that is certainly returned to the DVLA in the UK. Maybe the carhire companies will have access to the database as they will be providing you with Insurance. Who will have access? sorry I do not have a clue who that would be but would imagine that it would be Police, insurance companies and Uncle Tom Cobly.

Easy to say but important when going to hire a vehicle, yes at the desk you can hold everything up whilst they call the DVLA or you can print off the info to take with you but it will be needed to prove your not disqualified etc.

Of course if you have points and a desk top publishing software you may be able to forge the document and hire a car

There is no need to panic, all they have done is got rid of the paper part of the licence. All it did was displayed your penalty points, and they are now accessed via a computer to who ever has the need to see them. Your full licence now is just the photocard, there is no need to take/have the paper part as well.

Thanks Courtney, very important if guests are hiring cars this summer as they will it seems need to bring driving proof with them? when they hire.

mine is still valid til 2017..phew but i don;t understand what all this fuss is about.....UK licence = european licence......well it should! and why should we be forced to get a french one........EUROPE does still exist at the moment...well the last time I looked anyway!