UK Government Gateway site

Hello I’m trying to join the HMRC UK government Gateway system.
I am blocked at the point where it asks for a UK postcode. As I live in France, I don’t have one. Does this mean that Gateway is only available for UK residents? If not, how can I get through to the system?

seems you might be trying to use the wrong “gate” :wink:

What is it you are trying to do with HMRC ???

Well just to get onto their Gateway system so that I can have a bit more connection with them.
I have a rented house in the UK, so I need to make a declaration because of this.
Yesterday I did speak to someone over the phone -but listen to this - it took over well over two hours of waiting on the phone before someone responded. In fact it was two separate phone calls. The first one had me waiting for 70 minutes before the line eventually went dead. I decided to ring back. Another 70 minutes had passed, and I was so disorientated by all of the waiting that when someone did answer I had lost the thread of much of what I needed to say. Having said that, the woman was very good - understanding,patient and co-operative.

According to this, you can: HMRC: Frequently asked questions

… though it doesn’t say how!

This link (Personal tax account: sign in or set up - GOV.UK) suggests you can use your NI No instead of a postcode,

Last time I tried it, it wanted to do a credit check on me

You need two forms of ID, so NI number and UK passport is rumoured to let you in!

It is tricky to get in but I’ve managed it at last. There are various possibilities to get through the maze, some of them involve things like mobile phone photographs giving facial recognition, or else giving details from UK documents like passports or UK driving licenses. The sticking point for me was when they asked my address, they wouldn’t accept my French address, but they did accept the last UK address that I held. From here they did a credit check on me, and then they said that I’d got through the entry requirements. I was suddenly worried, because I thought that they might definitively change my postal address for the former address that I had just submitted - but no, this had not happened, and when I saw my profile that had been created, my French address remained.

3 Likes

This happened to me, but they needed evidence from all of the previous 5 years, which of course I didn’t have, being in France. Then, I was offered another means of getting an account by scanning the RFID tag on my passport, but my phone doesn’t support RFID so that failed as well. I tried again about 18 months later and they just required my passport number, NI number and a scan of the photo page of the passport, which allowed me to generate the account.