UK Investment Trust income - gross or net?

Making preparations for my first online Declaration d’Impots this year after a paper submission last year, having moved to France in late 2018. I’ve searched the forum without success for an answer to this particular question.

I am a UK State pensioner with a Govt pension and fully understand the taxation of each in France. My question concerns the investment trust holdings I have in the UK. One is an accumulation fund and research here indicates that it is not necessary to declare income (which only adds to the NAV) as the eventual capital gain when taxed , will contain the added value.

The other investment trust consists of two funds with dividend income from each which is re-invested each time by purchasing further shares. Do I declare the gross value of dividends received during the year or the net dividend after deduction of management charges, please?

Please keep answers at a level a financial numpty would understand… :slightly_smiling_face:

Had you not said “numpty” - I would have suggested the “Guide du Contribuable”, which comes out every year about this time of year (March/April) in preparation for the annual tax returns in May (well now generally June with e-filing) - however, that is all in French, and quite technical, so you might be better off asking an accountant(unless others here have similar experience/investments to yours).
The following page discusses the situation in which a French tax resident receives dividend from German capital investment, where the German taxation system also retains a part of the revenue, because you can then claim a credit on that part (double taxation treaty). You don’t say whether your dividends have taxe retained at them by the nation in which the trust is based (presumably the UK), so this scenario, may or may not be relevant to your situation:

1 Like

It would appear also from this that you have to declare the gross amount:

1 Like

Thank you, Alex, the Legifiscal page has been quite helpful. It would seem I declare 100% of the dividend on the appropriate part of form 2042, where tax will be assessed on 60% of the gross amount.