UK licences no longer valid?

I’m somewhat sceptical of money saving/labour saving schemes, which can result in folk being out of a job… one way or another… at least for a while.

Locally, removing 99.9% humans from the refuse collection… did save wages but meant expensive specialized vehicles had to be bought… The lack of humans on the circuit has resulted in damage to the bins and mayhem in some areas… which are too constricted to allow these vehicles the necessary access… If only we still had the cheerful chappies… on the back… they worked liked trojans and left everything tidy…

A few years back, the local Tax Office kept reminding folk that they were there to help. One confided in me… if everything gets done on line… that’s great… but some of us will be out of work… please make sure people come to see us. So far, so good… they are all still there… phew

It is because you can break speed limits without prosecution unless the police nick you.

Applied for our licences last November. Usual route, filled in the forms; had e-mails to waive the heavy categories and minibus, asked for more documents not on the original list (but asking for them by e-mail return which was a great help), etc. Attestations came through last weekend and I have now sent off our original licences to receive (next week) our French ones. Took 4 months.

fingers crossed for a good outcome… :hugs:

Did you telephone Nantes to confirm they had received your papers?

No. I did a screenshot of the suivi confirmation so I have some proof its there. My neighbour has tried to get hold of them many times and says it’s just not worth the hassle - takes forever to get through and then whoever you speak to just says to wait.

1 Like

Similar. (I hope…) Sent off mine end of Nov 2018. Had email yesterday asking for medical or give up heavy goods etc. So hopefully on track. The day before I sent in the application for French IDP as JJones has done! Hope it doesn’t muddy the waters…

We applied to exchange ours in Nov 18. Got the entire dossier sent back week before last requesting new (officially approved ) photos, birth or marriage certificate & a bit to sign to say if I wanted to renounce categories for lorries (C&D) or supply approved medical if I want to retain.
You can only apply if you can evidence 6 months residency. Good site to look at for how to apply, how to fill in the forms , conditions & what needs to go with your application is Applying for a French Driving licence - on Facebook . Sent ours back 10 days ago . Nothing since. Some people have been waiting over a year though Nantes are trying to improve the system & shift the backlog- which for once isn’t down to the “B”word. Over 400,000 applications & the new system just couldn’t cope.

3 Likes

I appreciated the utility of being able to respond by e-mail to any CERT Nantes enquiries. A good system. I was able to scan and send Marriage Certificate and Birth Certificate (for wife) and ‘waive’ the heavy categories also by e-mail. Speeded up the process.

1 Like

I think the B word has had an impact, as lots more demand from UK immigrants than there would have otherwise have been? We’ve been here for years and it’s only the B word that has pushed us to exchange.

HI given the scenario that most people are waiting well over a year for a French driving license then to apply now in the hope of getting one quickly to visit the lets say in the next 3 months is obviously not going to happen. So, whats the best course one can take for expats now perminent french residents?

a) If you still had an address in the UK is a UK DL valid?
b) I assume if you can do a) you can legally hire a car on a UK license
c) can you fly to UK hire a car on UK licence then apply for an international license at first opportunty at a post office.
d) To get the international licence you have to have a UK address but do you have to prove this on your application cant see anything on the psot office site
e) Has anyone gone down tis route, do you get the IDL immediately at the counter?
f) Once you have the IDL are you then legal to hire and drive in UK?

Thanks in advance

But it isn’t likely that Brexit caused the backlog. The system for exchanging licences was centralised to Nantes in Nov 2107. Brits weren’t advised by the Govt to exchange their licences until earlier this year. Nantes deals not only with exchange of licences but all aspects of licensing so those who’ve just passed their tests , lost their licence or changes of address. The system had a 400,000 backlog even before Brits were advised to exchange theirs. Given it’s estimated there are around 190,000 Britons in France even if they all applied that doesn’t account for the backlog. If you check their webpage and FB page the system is forever going down . Sounds more likely that in keeping with many Govt ideas to save money by centralising they underestimated the size of the system needed and it just isn’t robust enough. By way of comparison we bought a new car here in May last year and our Carte Grise (strangely administered by the Dept that sends out the actual French licence) arrived in just 3 days. People who’d put applications in to Nantes for exchange in 2017 are still waiting! Sounds more likely their applications arrived at the start of a new system, it was just overwhelmed and theirs is caught up in it. They are starting to shift the backlog as I’ve seen posts from people who put theirs in in December and are now getting their Attestations back.

Answers added to your questions…

So the options are a) do nothing in the hope that a no deal brexit doesn’t happen, and hope that the evidence that you’ve applied for a licence exchange will be enough, or that your licence magically appears.

Or b) apply for a french International Driving Permit through ANTS which you can do with a UK licence. The link is at the top of this thread in post 2.

Nantes have announced they will do no more exchanges until after Brexit except for certain reasons. Check on the Loire Atlantique prefecture website for details.

Just seen your thread…thanks

Birth or marriage certificates?

According to the French Brexit website they have not yet decided how to deal with this, it depends on what the UK does.

A compter du 30 mars 2019, la reconnaissance de votre permis français ou européen dépendra des mesures qui seront adoptées par le gouvernement britannique. Le gouvernement français est pleinement mobilisé pour que ces droits soient protégés au mieux, en lien avec la protection des droits des ressortissants britanniques qui résident en France.

Permis de Conduire post-Brexit

I should also have said that you live in France a UK issued IDP will not guarantee you can still drive if the UK fails to agree reciprocal arrangements:

If you are currently using a UK driving licence and live in an EU or EEA country, from 29 March 2019 you cannot use an IDP to guarantee that your UK licence will be recognised in that country.

UK licence holders who live in the EU or EEA

Hi all
Husband applied in 2017, after 1 yr received temporary Dlic for 6 months with request to return UK original to them. Whilst away in Feb he had email to say being sent by signed for mail.
All together it took 15 months.
I’m expecting the same duration for mine, but could be longer with Brexit ever closer (or quicker for same reason!!)
Patience is the key and you have UK original until it is requested. Only issue there is if its expiry date is insufficient to wait. Oh both sent it with suivi tracking number.

Sorry Catherine not true thankfully. The French have notified us that due to the fact that applications are on hold until they know what is happening with Brexit that we can continue to drive on our UK licence after the 29th. One thing I would point out is that to purchase a UK IDP is illegal as you have to state you are a UK resident to purchase one, they are now only available in certain post offices. Should anybody want any more info please let me know and I can supply what I have.

1 Like