UK not returning to pounds and ounces

All that fuss and metric measures are staying. Except wine will be sold in pints!! What absurdity!!

1 Like

More on this nonsenseā€¦

I donā€™t see the Champagne producers rushing to invest in stupid sized bottles anytime soon, despite the absurd Churchillian connections (but doubtless one tassle-haired liar will be keen).

2 Likes

Exactly. The fact that Rees-Mogg is pro tells me all I need to know.

I read that 99% in one survey said they wanted to keep the dual metric and imperial display of measurement on products, which surprised me but is eminently sensible.

1 Like

Sorry, not sensible at all. In fact stupid and unnecessary.

The world should have one standard that makes manufacturing and trade easy.

It is bad enough that the USA is so myopically crass in this respect, and on top, they have their own interpretaion on imperial weights and measures. We not need a third depiction just to satify brexshitters.

1 Like

Of course the ā€œfreedomā€ to have champagne in pints was always there - EU rules are about clear labelling (i.e. showing the metric equivalent of the pint on the bottle) not about forcing unnecessary standardisation. And as @Badger mentioned, I canā€™t see Lanson, Mumm, etc rushing to make pints of fizz.

Cider has been sold in pints all through our time in the EU, for example.

And the 750ml ā€œstandardā€ wine bottle used worldwide was originally developed for the British market - way back when the UK was Bordeauxā€™s biggest export market - in the 19th century at the behest of UK wine merchants wine switched from being shipped in barrels to being shipped in bottles - and the 750ml size was convenient for both producers and consumers - BTW six 750ml bottles are one imperial gallon!

(Standardisation on that size also had something to do with the rise of industrial methods of bottle production).

See, I knew the Larousse Wine book I got for Xmas would come in handy! :smiley:

5 Likes

Damn. I wish Iā€™d voted remain. Metric weights, black passports and out. Worst of three worlds.

1.232 pints, whats the problem :joy:

Maybe two gammon sections in supermarkets - one in the wine aisle.

Had the wine industry wanted to sell a 568ml bottle into the UK market they would have been at liberty to do so.

Perhaps the fact that they didnā€™t is relevant?

2 Likes

Nostalgiaā€¦.

IMG_3461

Funny looking wine that :yum::laughing:

2 Likes

2nd handā€¦

3 Likes

For anyone who hasnā€™t been in the UK for a while, Iā€™m happy to report that pints of beer are still available and that distance markers and speed limits are still in miles. In sawmills you can still buy 4 x 2 timber, although, unfortunately, in metric unit lengths. And try buying screw pipe fittings anywhere in non-imperial units. Iā€™ll bet you half a crown you canā€™t.

1 Like

8 Likes

:wink:

13 Likes

Actually - in a survey in the UK - 90% of the people asked didnā€™t want to return to Imperial measures , prefering to remain with Metric. So lets not paint this as a popular idea.

1 Like

Hahaha and extrapolated survey carried out in a newspaper office is not fact. :joy:

Yes thatā€™s right - most of the news articles on this topic have pointed that out, while others focus on the ā€œpint bottleā€ absurdity.

I wonder if the wine in pints thing was a sop to the Tory right wing? In any case as has been mentioned itā€™s unlikely the wine trade will rush to set up new product lines to satisfy an non-existent demand.

I am now off to lobby Parliament for the right to buy wine in goatskin flagons as our Ancient Briton ancestors did. :smiley:

3 Likes

When were Imperial weights and measures last taught in U.K. schools?

Never once saw any classwork or homework from my children that featured Imperial measurements during their school years (2000-2015).

I remember it being ā€œWe use Metric now but you need to know the basics of the Imperial systemā€ when I went through secondary school in the late 1970s.

Even the ancient lathes used during my apprenticeship had been converted to metric dials and the old fossils that taught us to use them only very occasionally regressed to ā€œItā€™s a few thou oversize, give it another skimā€¦ā€

The only Imperial measurements I hear or see now are ounces (when Herself has dug out an old recipe) and inches when looking at pipe/tap fittings in my local bricosheds as theyā€™re marked in Imperial and faux metric (15x21 etc).

According to the UK Metric Association:

Since 1974 all state schools have been required to teach the metric system as the primary system of measurement.

So I think your memory is correct.

2 Likes