UK passports to be stamped

356 day EU insurance for GB vehicles is available. I have seen this on camper van fora. For example, I have seen a recommendation for 365 day EU camper van insurance by The Farmers’ Union [UK] insurance co!

I honestly hadn’t thought about people applying for a CdS if they were not full time resident. Isn’t there some sort of check with the tax office?

I would hope that eventually all CdS’s will be cross-referenced to tax returns but in the meantime a lot of people will be applying who are not yet registered with the French tax authorities, ie all the British who have just arrived before the end of the transition period. I think it would be quite easy for a second home owner to apply fraudulently but hopefully will be found out in due course.

Trouble is that people aren’t speaking to you first…if you just look at the flow chart then all it says is send in the three bits of paper if you have been here over 5 years. Given that some people think paying taxe d’hab and foncière gives them “rights” here I can well imagine that they read this as being open door to apply.

I know but surely they can’t be stupid enough to think they can get the CdS and carry on as before… oh hang on 52% chance they may be :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

And just to add it is incredible how many folk I’ve spoken to who are here 8 or 9 months of the year and don’t see any irony in them considering here thier ‘holiday home’…

It’s very unlikely that a stamp in a passport is the means to track the 90 in 180 rule. This will be done electronically as you pass border control and the system will flag when you travel again and have failed to adhere to the 90 in 180 rule. You can easily break this and stay longer but risk the penalties when caught at a border crossing.

1 Like

I may be completely wrong in this but I had a feeling that the tech involved in this, which is all connected to the European version of the US ESTA scheme and such was not actually due to be up and running until the end of this year, which is why until now people in some countries have basically been able to flout schengen rules (some countries are known as better options for people wanting to stay longer) as it relied on customs guards realising, and some countries were more proactive than others in this respect. But I may be entirely misremembering this and making it all up so I’m sure someone else has more knowledge.

On other groups people travelling showed the evidence of having applied for and awaiting TdeS … but their passport was still stamped…so it’s been suggested people carry a copy of the French and UK Govt website info on this until they have the permanent card.

Have many holiday home owners done that.

I might have posted this here a few months ago but I certainly did on other sites.
Sadly given stamping and refused boarding stories it has turned out to be very accurate.

“We should be aware when travelling across the border between the UK and the EU27 in the early weeks of 2021 the distinct possibility that untrained or belligerent customs officers, airline check-in staff and border force could make life unpleasant as they are unsure of the rules, just as we will be. It might even be complicated if you have a return ticket or if you DONT have a return ticket. To be turned away at the border is a very unpleasant experience and if you then find yourself not protected by the Withdrawal Agreement that could be life changing. In these times “Sod’s law” is very active.
Remember few officials are fired for being over cautious.”

The Schengen boarders will be carefully controlled in 2022/23

ETIAS is linked with the EES (entry-exit system)

Wikepedia

Entry-Exit-System - Wikipedia

and

Entry-Exit System pilot project at land borders

and SIS (Schengen Information System)

Schengen Information System

No-one knows. How could they…

There are people who have said they have received their card, but again maybe are they pretending. And people who have said that X or Y has received a card. Much of this could be fake news circulating on social media. However, if you have documents dated over 5 years old it is so simple to make a request that I can well imagine that a goodly number have chanced it. Especially as looking at the portal you could read that it is ok to do it if you are of a “Trumpian” nature.

In due course EES and ETIAS will find them out

Is this going to be applied in the same way as that of the refusal of certain Departements who had been issued with an order to continue to allow our Attestations under the S1 scheme to continue and yet knew better?

what a mess it all is

There’s a sting in that tail though, Jane, and I would strongly suggest it could get costly if people don’t think it through and play it straight.

I very much hope there is one, and that it gets people where it hurts.

1 Like