UK Pension Podcast from the Survive France Team

Hello Everyone,

The Survive France team have launched a series of podcasts called “France Made Simple”….

I was invited on to speak about UK pensions…. I will be covering some more topics later in the series.

Please feel free to have a listen using the following link - It’s all about pensions! by France Made Simple

A bit about me and how to get in touch if you need any help!

My name is Dave and live just south of Chateauroux with my wife and daughter… I play golf and run a golf society called Limousin Golf Society. I also play for my local football team which is helping me with my French. We have had a house in France since 2014 but have lived here since 2019 and are settling well to French life!

I help people in France with cross boarder financial planning and domestic French solutions. I also help a few private and listed US companies with their employees based in France, mainly with their employment share benefits.

If you think I can be of help then feel free to reach out – david.lawson@devere-france.fr or book an introduction Zoom call - Calendly - David Lawson

2 Likes

This sounds useful - I shall take a listen when I can.

2 Likes

If there’s anything else you’d like to know… feel free to drop me a message or comment on the thread. If there’s something I’ve missed someone else may benefit from the response.

This should also double up quite well as a sleep aid! :rofl:

As did the CII financial planning books 1,2&3

1 Like

I liked 2 and 3 actually … 1 was hard though! Regulations and Ethics… not that it isn’t important… it’s just very boring!

1 Like

If anyone has managed to listen to the podcast we would welcome feedback and if there’s anything you want to ask feel free to do so!

1 Like

Thank you Dave - I will take a listen during this weekend.

I may well be in touch very soon…

C

1 Like

No problem!

Hi Dave. It took me longer than planned to be able to listen to this - I usually listen to podcasts whilst walking the dog but he’s just been diagnosed with dysplasia and so long walks are suddenly a thing of the past :frowning: But here’s my feedback…

Pensions is a topic that I only have a basic understanding of. It’s something I think I need to get to grips with though as I’ll turn 50 next year :scream:

There was a lot of information shared, and it’s clear you’re very knowledgeable. I think it might have been helpful to outline at the beginning what topics were going to be discussed.

I struggled a bit at times to follow what was being said, but I think that’s because the podcast format doesn’t lend itself well to discussing complex things like pensions… After listening to the podcast I checked out your YouTube videos, which I found easier to follow because I could see what you were explaining.

Talking of which, there was a point about 20 minutes in where you mentioned a YouTube video you’ve made about transferring over state pension credits earned from working in the UK to instead count towards French trimesters. Would you be able to share the link please? It’s something I think could be of interest to me.

I think perhaps having regular but shorter podcasts may also be easier to follow… I know @cat mentioned you coming back for more sessions. Or perhaps I just have a very short attention span.

Lastly - and this may be more for @cat’s benefit - it was difficult to hear cat at times. I’m presuming you were doing it via Zoom / Teams / WebEx, etc… as it sounded like we were hearing her audio being played through your speakers. There’s tools like StreamYard that can record audio from all participants being interviewed which might be worth considering for future episodes.

Please don’t take anything I’ve said the wrong way. It’s meant to be constructive. It was informative and it’s made me realise I need to sort my shit out, and that having someone who understands both UK and French systems will be invaluable (I get contacted every couple of months by companies based in Dubai which I don’t trust). I’ll definitely check out your future episodes!

All the best.

3 Likes

I’d invest in better mics, or think about how best to record yourselves. The obviously professional content was let down by the production.

3 Likes

Awesome feedback! Exactly what we want to hear is genuine thoughts and perceptions. Everyone will experience things differently but this will allow us to try and improve what we are doing! Thanks a lot! Any help you need then just shout and we can get a call/zoom organised.

2 Likes

Thanks again for taking the time to gives us the feedback

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the feedback… we are getting some better tech to see if that helps with the quality.

For subjects like pensions … we are going to record some shorter episodes focusing on aspects so it’s modular.

We plan to cover investment as well after pensions.

3 Likes

I think this makes sense. Having a regular but shorter slot in future Survive France podcasts is a good way of enticing people like me to listen to episodes that I may have otherwise skipped if I felt the other content isn’t relevant.

That’s got to be good for audience figures and, ultimately, potential ad revenue (if that’s the aim of the podcast).

2 Likes