UK Pensioners' Long-term Residency Cards in Jeopardy?

Reported in “The Local” regarding Macron’s future policies:

"Among the measures he has proposed are:

• Giving long-term residency cards (10 years) only to those who have passed a French exam AND have a job – he does not specify what level of French would be needed to pass the exam;"

The implication is that UK pensioners residence in France would never qualify for a 10 year card.
The article does not clarify whether the lack of a 10 year card would also withdraw long-term residency rights.

Classic The Local mountain out of molehole journalism I think. Campaigning speech that basically sets out the current rules with tweaks that would never get on statute books. First off for TCNs to get cards now you have to have A1 level, which is pretty basic! (We were given an exception) Can’t see that changing. And to go beyond 5 years you have to show you can support yourself, so what’s new?

Only people it would affect are young jobless.

1 Like

What’s new is that one would have to be employed.
Most pensioners would not, so would appear to ineligible for 10 year cards.

I doubt that such a measure would apply retrospectively.
The 5 year or 10 year CdS-WA will be respected, without doubt.
The Local seems to have taken over the mantle for scaremongering from The Connexion :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

…find so much of their content now of dubious accuracy and its often dated that so probably won’t be renewing my subscription after many years. Its deteriorated a lot since Brexit vote.
Re 5 year and 10 yrs cards, this a an EU-UK agreement so unless she really wants to cause a bust up with EU…and she might…then it’s probably low risk for WA subjects.

1 Like

'tis just a lot of tish-tosh… :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Most probably sloppy journalism and interpretation, but I would imagine that if they did want to introduce anything of the kind it would be for any newcomers and not for those already now resident.

1 Like

[quote=“Nigel-at-BUF-House, post:3, topic:39000”]
Most pensioners would not, so would appear to ineligible for 10 year cards

Can you imagine saying pensioners have to work in france! Even pesky foreign ones. Unimaginable.

1 Like

I think the reference made was to E. Macron, not M Le Pen. Last time I saw E Macron, he was definitely presented as a male :wink:

1 Like

Objectively its editorial content has always been rubbish, I thought people bought it only for the small ads.

2 Likes

FGS UK pensioners aren’t the only non EU foreigners in France in fact I expect they are a minority and he was talking about more youthful people from all over the place, if indeed he said anything of the sort in the first place.
Add 2 and 2 and get 57 pfffffffff :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
I really can’t be doing with these pseudo papers written by halfwits for a captive audience.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t buy it to wipe my arse on :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Almost fell off my chair with laughter :+1: :+1: :+1: very good :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

these are their latest words… make of them what you will… me, I’m calm, very calm. As I thought… The Local are nutters

…she who might want a bust up is M le P.

I really don’t think any of that applies to oldies with pensions.

3 Likes

exactly…

1 Like

Nothing to scary in that

exactly… :wink: :rofl: