UK registered vehicles are rarely seen now

I think he is talking post Brexit… the current state of that particular matter. At least that’s how I see this :wink:

1 Like

That’s the Ulys package I subscribe to, though the monthly admin was €1,67 last time I used my bipper in October 2020.

I love the 30 kph lanes!

I think it has now been confirmed that if you are a French resident and the owner of a vehicle that you drive on French roads with a mix and match of a UK regististration with a CT instead of MOT and insurance from the UK or France then 90 days is the limit for that insurance to be valid after which the vehicle is being used illegally hence the reason why the topic is called " UK registered vehicles are rarely seen now".
Given that Covid restrictions have severely limited the arrival of UK registered cars driven by UK residents then to my mind the appearence of a Uk registered car/van on the French highway suggests that it is highly likely to be driven illegally i.e. it is an unlicensed weapon capable of detroying peoples lives.

1 Like

Aren’t all vehicles a weapon that is capable of destroying people’s lives?

I am very anti- illegal vehicles, but legal vehicles kill and maim people too…and insurance money really doesn’t make up for it.

The insurance to me is more relevant for the biffs and bumps., and thefts.

Agreed.
But it doesn’t excuse people from not abiding to the rules of the road and vehicles they use on it.
Brexit has changed many rules that we all took advantage of in some shape or form but much has changed and we have to change with it, like it or not.
Those who bury their head in the sand will be caught out sooner or later.
I hate what Brexit has done and in the short term Covid has made things even worse but life goes on and I prefer to live my life legally without looking over my shoulder, perhaps some dont care.

2 Likes

True, Brexit has changed a lot of things. I shall observe the effects with interest, particularly as one UK reg driver I know has refused to apply for a CdeS because “I’ve lived here for fifteen years and never needed one, why should I get one now?”.
The air will be heavy with the rush of books being thrown at her, I fear.

3 Likes

Just to add to the “global knowledge”, if an event arise to a French resident and if the other third party is an illegal situation (not insured, not declared, etc.) then the French resident would have a legal recourse so that he/she would not be out of pocket anyway. That recourse is called the FGAO (Fond de Garantie des Victimes) and it is available for any claim in regard to some direct material or corporal damages.

3 Likes

And, another fun fact is that all the “legal drivers” in France are actually paying a tax each year in their policies to contribute to the FGAO. But don’t worry, you’re not really paying for uninsured people as these guys will feel the weight of the French administrative system if they are to get you to use the FGAO as we’re talking jail time 3/4th of the time so it’s no joke :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, I do love France…

2 Likes

As a Brit with a holiday home in France I am beginning to wonder what type of welcome we will get as and when we can come back.
I have a sense that if you are not in it fully, then you are very much seen as not very committed/or a bit of an outsider.
I hope we will not receive any/or too many problems when we drive our UK registered car but from what you are saying we may well be stopped by the gendarmes quite frequently.
I hope we will be safe to park our car in the supermarket car park or elsewhere.
A friend told of a time a couple of years ago when she had her car tyre slashed . I hope that won’t be an attitude we will find in peaceful Charente.

That worries me as well, and I get more worried just about every time Johnson opens his mouth :frowning:

I can’t speak for everyone’s area, Anne, but I think you are worrying unnecessarily. In the 30 years I have been coming here I have never experienced the slightest hostility toward me as a Brit, apart from the occasional young oik at the bank and that was probably misogeny rather than xenophobia!

There’s always been a lot of talk in the UK about the French not liking the Brits and I’ve not seen it. I have, unfortunately, seen a great deal coming the other way. The UK media is full of how ghastly the EU are to the Brits simply because they are British and I have to say it’s boll**ks !

4 Likes

I can see why that concerns you, Paul, but over here (at least in my area) no-one seems to take any notice of the man apart from seeing him as a prat…

1 Like

@anon88169868 and @Annej2003

Please try not to worry about how you will be received.

The majority of French with whom I discuss things (from Parisiens to Corsicans and everywhere in between) …
they are only too well aware that the ordinary British person is nothing like the British government.

1 Like

Thanks for the reassurance Stella

Mind you there is a certain type of knuckle-dragging “ordinary” - i.e football supporting and lager swilling (with no trace of irony) - Brit abroad which is exactly  like the present government.

Fortunately I think that particular sort of Brit has a preference for Spain and the Balearics and probably already has such a low reputation that not even Brexit and Johnson can drag it down further.

1 Like

Please do urge her to at least call one of the associations so she can have a bit more of an ‘official’ answer. That really worries me as she will become an illegal alien as of 01/10/21 without the CDS card. She still has 2 weeks to apply.

IOM - The International Organisation for Migration (Brittany, Normandy, Paris and Ile-de-France, Hauts-de-France, Pays de la Loire)

Contact details:

• visit the IOM website
  • email: UKnationalsFR@iom.int
  • hotline: 08 09 54 98 32 available during the following hours: Mon - Tues 2pm to 4pm and Wed - Thurs 10.30am to 12.30pm

FBN - The Franco-British Network (Dordogne, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, and Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur)

Contact details:

Church of England - Diocese in Europe (Occitanie, Bourgogne Franche-Comté, Centre Val de Loire, Corsica, Grand Est, Nouvelle Aquitaine, not including Dordogne)

Contact details:

1 Like

We’ve tried, all her friends have tried, but she’s stubborn. We’re not giving up, but I fear it’s a lost cause. I wonder if she’s got things to hide, perhaps, but burying her head in the sand achieves nothing. Perhaps she’ll surprise us at the last minute . . .

I think folk can discern between “ordinary folk” and knuckle-draggers…

The good manners of “ordinary folk” of any nationality, tend to bring out the best in nearly everyone, so I’m sure you’ll be just fine.

5 Likes

I think the UK rough equivalent is called the MIB - the Motor Insurance Bureau. It is funded by a levy included on every motor insurance policy.

I hope you have a good welcome Anne, the conversation has mainly been about those who choose to live in France but find reason/excuse not to comply with the law in relation to their vehicles.

1 Like