UK registered vehicles are rarely seen now

Yup, been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Lost count of the number of punctures I’ve had from having to get in the gutter to avoid an oncoming French car on the crown of the road.

1 Like

We have one of each. I must admit I also like being in the RHD one on little roads as I can get off as far as possible and see so easily where I am. I’m lucky as our most used roads are either impossible for anyone to overtake on (windy / forest roads) or straight and clear so you can still get around. I hate the motorway / ticket barriers in carparks. I always feel like a twit having to get our and walk around. We so rarely go anywhere like that so not usually an issue.

Came here with RHD car and van in 2008 and registered both on the old style number plate which I much preferred as so much easier to tell at a distance where the vehicle came from. Our children were kept busy while travelling on many occasions when given pen and paper to spot and note all the different department numbers!
When we moved home here in 2011 we were given the new style number plate.
We have had LHD car for coming up 5 years now and my beloved RHD transit van was sold last year to be replaced by LHD camping car.
Totally LHD now but still occasionally open the passenger door before realising the steering wheel isnt there!!

The automated barriers on the motorways are a godsend - you only pay for the “gizmo” in the month you use it and worth every penny to my mind.

When we first came, I used to get out of the car and make a point of raising my hand to the car behind me, so they understood I realised I was being a nuisance.

4 Likes

Honestly I can’t even remember the last time I used a motorway - probably 2 years ago so not sure it would be worth it for me! How much is the monthly fee (although I didn’t realise you only pay in the months you use it so thanks for that info Sue)?

I second that although have noticed when it hasn’t been used for a while there is always a will it or won’t it moment when approaching the barrier.

1 Like

OH tells me it’s gone up sharply in recent years - used to be 2 euros. He thinks it’s now 4.99€ or something - not sure because we’re not going anywhere! We may be out of date on all of this. The gizmo (which apparently is called a transponder) we paid 30€ for when we got it.

Hopefully someone will come along in a minute who can correct me.

Ulys Classic electronic toll payment

Without engagement

No commissioning fees

€ 2.00

/ month used

• 0 € the months not used
  • Lane reserved for tolls
  • On all motorways in France
  • Consumption monitoring on the app
4 Likes

Ulysse have a scheme that charges 0.90€ each day you use the autoroute. They have another plan that charges 2€ for any month in which you use a péage.

1 Like

Snap…

1 Like

My autoroute gizmo costs 10 euros a year, then normal toll charges as per usage. I think it’s a godsend.
On the matter of UK reg vehicles, there are British insurance companies which insure cars in France and will also accept CT in lieu of MoT certs. Some people I know use them; it’s still illegal not to re-register of course, but with valid insurance in place, perhaps not so heinous.

But is the insurance valid just because the insurance company tells the insured it is?
Pocketing the premium is one thing but paying out on a potential claim is quite another.
Perhaps @fabien could shed some light on the subject.

2 Likes

Sparkling cider on the terrace of Chateau Despair is fine by me in this weather :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My view is that the grunt of returning to UK is so onerous as to put people off. It has me.

I want to collect my camper from Weston S Mare. I could be off the ferry at P/mouth 07:30, up to Weston and back on the 23:30 to Caen same day. But the thread here that tells of the inordinate expense of visiting UK make all but the most pressing visits not worthwhile.

I think the GB plate count should wait till coming and going across the Channel is a great deal easier and less costly.

With Bip ad Go anyway, that’s a deposit. If you return the box they refund you.

Why should it not be valid? Post Brexit perhaps, but previously why not?

I just had a look. I’m with Bip and Go. They seem to be predominantly up North so suspect they were the first office I hit driving over having bought our house. They cover France, Italy, Spain and Portugal (which, of course is pretty well irrelevant now). There if no monthly charge or abonnement and you only pay €1.70 a month when you use it. I’ve three badges just to be sure to be sure.

Thanks John and others. I’ll get OH to check his. He may have misremembered.

No cars but both LHD & RHD moto’s.

1 Like

Hi John,

If we follow European regulations, it is not possible (illegal then) to be insured for more than 90 days in a row in another country all accros the EU. This is the reason why 90 days is the max limit on all EU policies and any foreign insurer (from outside of the EU) that says they can cover you for more than 90 days may not be a liar but that cover is impossible by the very definition of EU legislations.

So, the short answer is “it’s both illegal and they’re probably not covered for something bigger than a window break or calling the tow truck”.

Hope that helps?

2 Likes