UK threaten to storm Ecuadorian embassy in London

Unexpected sex? In my experience if you expect it it often doesn't happen. It used to be called getting lucky.

Well said about the 'leaks' Zoe.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/06/assange-rape-accuser-cia-ties/

Also, he is not wanted for "rape", but rather for "unexpected sex", a crime, in Sweeden.

Jerry,

you've seen first hand how assange treats women, have you. How frightening that must have been for you. He is not attacking anything from a soap-box. Anonymous are. He is merely the fall guy. The military leaks did not come from him, they came from Manning. Anonymous has taken down a paedophile ring, while the police stood still on the matter. They have tackled Sony for their refusal to encrypt, and safely deal with customer details, including credit card numbers, They attack anyone they can find on the internet causing injustice, or harm to others.

Don't toss everyone in the same "pesky protestor" barrel, Assange does not stand for anonymous, or wikileaks alone, nor does either entity stand merely for him. The same goes for the occupy movement.

love it Cate....but I truly hope not!

Precious Cate!

Catharine, ace... It puts paid to Maggie T's lovable school boy thing doesn't it. Pissed as a fart when he got up and did his monologue at Tory conference. Back to the days of E.L. Wisty and annoying people by boring them to death talking about newts. There is the king of them all.

Thanks Chris. I feel that my country is struggling to find it's heart and soul. The country I have loved for so many years seems to have an identity problem. I hope that what is right will prevail.

As I know they often say in the US of A... Way to Go Jerry!!

I agree with Cate's posts, particularly the one below. I am tired of my country, the USA, sticking their noses into everyone's business, but at the same time I am also tired of buckleling under to everyone third world country that wants to challenge us or any of our allies. Part of me wants this whole stupid situation to disappear but another part of me says bravo to Britain for standing up for their own laws and rights. Personally I think Julain is a douche bag and should be taken down for the way he treats women and the way he disrepects so much of what is good in this world by getting on his soapbox and attacking the world in the name of freedom of speech. By the way, I am off to the hospital for a meeting with staff as the Senior Sexual Assault Counselor. So I have no sympathy on the rape accusations. He should face a court and not public and media charges of his guilt or innocence.

===================================================================

Comment by cate dal molin1 hour ago

ps be careful not to confuse freedom of speech and 'freedom' to publicize classified information - the two are quite different.

For starters http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/871543.stm

Catharine, does that mean he has a head to be pissed? James, she means HP of course.

Off to bed you two... You've had a busy day!

Or should that be 'sauce' :)

Source please Catharine...

I am so glad someone other than me associated the words twat and William Hague. Why is he still involved in govt in any shape or form after (allegedly) having been proved to be a piss head?

Catharine, I only picked it up as an example, I realised it was piss taking, and being an old 68-er, damned right I would be there.

Cate, I agree with you on the tedious Assange worship. He happens to have been there, done it and has a very soiled tee-shirt. However, it is an age when there are whistle blowers who feel things are wrong so do it, others who succomb to money and hackers who naively or knowingly get into places they are not welcome in. It is done, so no tears will help undo it. However, I see no point in taking the persecution of whistleblowers to witch hunt level and incarcerating an autistic hacker who has a single touch of very naive genius or Assange whose sell-by date is now overdue. He will be gone, he will be replaced. Electronic media are making such things easier but no doubt sophisticated security software will be developed that will stop that until the next wave of gifted hackers, ad infinitum. I am one of those people who believes that too much is withheld from us and that far more than that has already been leaked should be in the public domain. I certainly know the difference between the two distinctions you make but personally think there is far too much classified information. Others may disagree. Secrets make wars far more than uphold peace and so it has been since the first two idiot men threw a stone at each other. I say men because in many respects I have more faith in women. There, beside your Mandela. Walesa type examples, I believe that from suffragism on to recent times more women have stood for principles without falling victim to their own egos and losing the plot, if bad treatment in prisons ever be talked about openly then their treatment in the UK would count as some of the worst anywhere.

So Assange is getting big publicity in both pro and contra directions, his head is probably swollen with that. There is a fair chance Ecuador will finally get bored with him and kick him out of the front door. He has had his day, Wikileaks functions without him and is probably a temporary abberation to be superseded soon. What disturbs me most is that twat William Hague starting this story with ill chosen words, which he has done too often as it is, and then having his officials say 'that is not what we meant'. Not convincing when much of the media was showing a police presence at the Embassy front door one would need to squeeze through sideways to deliver the post! Highly convincing Hague! What a bloody enormous favour he did Assange, time for Mrs Thatcher's favourite schoolboy to fade into the obscurity he belongs in. Like Assange.

The US government let a private soldier use a computer which had the facility to download to a cd. In any, even mildly secure are, this feature is usually disabled. Having made a huge blunder in it’s own security set-up, the USA is now trying to get the Swedish and UK governments to pull its irons out of the fire for it.
T he Swedes let Julian Assange leave their country, if he was such a threat, why did they do that?
The UK governmentnmust realise the threat to our own Embassies abroad if they attempt any kind of interference with the status of sovereign soil for foreign embassies in London.

To be fair Brian - Cate was clearly taking the piss re cluttering up the pavements and yes, we all know there are always some 'protesters' who will jump on any bandwagon, whatever the cause.

I would certainly be there and protesting if I was in the UK.

Cate, the problem with that piece is that Brendan O'Neill comes out of it looking as arrogant and annoying as Julian Assange. Whilst he more or less expressing the view held by the majority, it is the way he wrote that which does not flatter his journalistic abilities. As it is, I am not a particularly great fan of spiked because of a couple of the writers. O'Neill's piece on the 2012 Olympics being far more politicised that Beijing 2008 is equally as arrogantly written, factually quite accurate but stylistically simply arrogant.

He is also avoiding the point about the potential breach of diplomatic protocol. Concentrating on Assange and avoiding the issue is fair enough but doing it today is rather an own goal because it attracts attention to his way of writing. Now, I am certain you will probably disagree with every word I have written. But then you too have largely ignored that central issue, been critical of people's right to protest (for right or wrong) and expressed an opinion that probably relatively few people will agree with about access to all info not being good at a time when people feel far too much we SHOULD know is being withheld.

David, I agree. I think it is a staging post and given the support he had from Brazil earlier this year I would almost bet my last button that that is his intended destination. After all, which nation in the Americas is becoming wealthy, influential and powerful enough to compete with the USA Assange has had a bit of a war with. As far as financial situation, he seems to be near broke but is sitting on a valuable story if he walks.