UK to France Shopping

I had some friends from the UK who just turned up out of the blue a week ago. They had been travelling in their VW T5 camper around the islands off Bordeaux. They had especially brought me a big piece of Cheddar and some Soreen from the UK. No problems. UK cheddar is better and far cheaper then the French stuff. I am not fond of French cheese (full stop). Give me some cheddar or better still Extra mature any time and I will be happy. Same for the bacon and even the sausages. Walls or some other basic UK supemarket ones better than the ā€˜strangeā€™ adultaratedā€™ grisly French ones every time. I will go to a local Morrisons or Tescos and fill up my cooler bag with bacon, sausages and cheddar and stuff it under the 100 cans of Heinz beans, Tomato soup, very cheap rice pudding, tea, Shreddies, mince pies, Birds trifle , Marmite, Ginger wine, Bovril cubes, Pear drops, Walkers crisps, and anything which takes my fancy. I will hope that they will get bored before they get to the cooler boxā€¦

1 Like

What none of them? There are so many different sortsā€¦

Ah well the point is they arenā€™t adulterated- they arenā€™t allowed to contain anything but meat and seasonings :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Didnā€™t the standard British sausage actually fail the requirements to be able to call it a sausage in Europe?

Well maybe this why the UK S???s are better. The EU just could not compete with them! I am already looking forwards to the tasty Full English breakfast. Salivating at the thought of the big plate full of the good stuff.

1 Like

Each to each. Les goƻts et les couleurs eh.

2 Likes

et les additifs

In other words, the French stuff is ā€˜properā€™ whereas most of the Brit stuff ainā€™t.

Most UK bacon is dreadful itā€™s from industirally raiesed pigs and isnā€™t dry cured in the traditional way, apart from Woodalls and a few others) Whereas our local poitrine fumĆ©e is made by our butcher in his atelier de viande rather than in some anonymous English factory next to a motorway. Perhaps part of the confusion arises from what is labelled as ā€˜bacon/neā€™ in a boucherie is a totally different thing to English bacon .

Iā€™m wholly unable to comprehend these posts about wanting to import industrial Englsih bacon into France.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree!
Might as well throw in a few joints of beef as well (cooked then chilled) !

French and Spanish people like Cheddar its easily available sorry to say the best one was Canadian
Barrel before the UK joined the EU. I lived close to Cheddar UK and it was not that tasty

Our nearby leclerc has just started stocking truckles of Snowdonia Chease Company Black Bomber cheddar which is superb.

A friend of mine lived very near Shepton Mallet when we were undergraduates and took me to Cheddar gorge etc etc and I was surprised at how nice Cheddar cheese was.

Great so it took22 years before you tasted it

Lots of posters above are expressing a preference for industrially produced food, whether itā€™s english bacon, Wallā€™ sausages or most supermarket Cheddar. OK, thatā€™s their perogative, but I do wonder why?

3 Likes

Yukā€‹:face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

Exactly, why is a company that became known for making low grade ice cream forty years ago also an industrial manufacturer os sausages? Simple, itā€™s all about profit rather than quality.

We have lots of neighbours from various countries, and itā€™s very evident the Brits and the Dutch are the ones who mosty buy their food in supermarkets.

1 Like

Only food for the gods because thats what they say when they taste it god what the f@@@is that

2 Likes

? I had had industrial Cheddar at school and it was indistinguishable from industrial red Leicester/Wensleydale/Sage Derby etc apart from the colour. Not nice at all.
I had to come back every term with my handluggage full of survival rations from home (France). :grin:

Been out from Folkstone to Calais four times with my car full of stuff and no issues just got back last Friday , i was worried last trip as i had to force the back doors and boot shut with materials & tools plus took food in cool bags guess Iā€™ve been lucky

I was twice stopped for (accidentally) carrying nonallowed food through airport scanning machines - once leaving France to come back to the UK, once from Italy. After accepting I had been wrong I said ā€œBut youā€™re condemning me to eat English foodā€ and both times they let me through with the food.

2 Likes

Do you do any food shopping in France and eat French food !?

We often have a hankering for the familiar tastes - it doesnā€™t matter that they are based on industrially processed materials, using the parts that would otherwise be thrown away. Many nations have developed their ā€˜poverty foodsā€™ into national dishes, typical British bacon and walls sausages being no worse than some of the other weird things people choose to eat. Wasnā€™t there discussion of tripe and ā€˜jotā€™ in another thread? Thereā€™s a good chance that if your expectation is for processed bacon, then the stuff thatā€™s made carefully using free-range pigs and artisan craftsmanship in the production will be disappointing.

Itā€™s good to ā€˜live and let liveā€™ over culinary preferences.

1 Like