UK TV Licence Payers should be able to watch BBC output all around the world on Mobile Devices - n'est pas?

The BBC has recently announced legislation that all those who view their content on mobile devices must have a UK TV Licence... So, I'm launching a Change.org petition to encourage them to allow international access to their programming for ALL those who hold a UK TV licence - wherever they are worldwide... Seems fair! You're paying...You've got the medium - but you're NOT getting the message... So please sign...

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-tv-licence-payers-should-be-able-to-view-bbc-iplayer-whilst-abroad-by-input-of-password?recruiter=60893139&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-sm-no_src-no_msg&fb_ref=Default

1 Like

I’ve signed and will post a link on other forums.

I didn’t think that it was the BBC who made the rules so how can you ask them to change them?

Thanks for signing… This thing is obviously a slow burner and I will have to revise the spiel to bring it up to date. The BBC have just announced that they want to make the i-player the first choice for people wishing to view online output and already you have to state that you have a licence before see any of their programming. This year they are rolling out a password feature and I’m betting that some of the VPN providers actually have the BBC at the back of them as instigators/investors… so that allowing licence holders to view whilst abroad will lose them money. CS

Chris…

I pay TV Licence here in France, even though I do NOT receive any programmes whatsoever…just use it for DVD’s.

However, I would not expect the French TV Licence payment to cover me to watch TV in the UK.

So, my question is… why should the BBC be asked to include worldwide coverage in their licence fee ??

I’m not wishing to start a war… just some clarification…

I really cannot see the logic of your argument. The BBC gets its money from legitimate licence payers not by setting up covert VPN companies which allow illegal access to their services in exchange for a fee. Your licence allows you to watch BBC broadcasts within the U.K., not worldwide and your petition will be asking the BBC to do something outside their conditions of service. It just isn’t going to happen.

1 Like

If Information technology had not allowed us to use computers, tablets, mobile phones and attendant software internationally I would agree with you wholeheartedly. Now though those who travel internationally and communicate on every level and who hold a TV licence to view 365 days within the UK should, I believe, be able to get 365 days value from the product they have paid for. The world wide web gives us the ability to log in to use many paid for services wherever we are in the world. UK residents who travel widely for their work (pilots, aircrew, truckers and other professional drivers, journalists, entrepreneurs, holiday makers) are target market for this petition. I appreciate there will be a slow-burn to this but 7 more have signed today and only one note of dissent so far. I’m sure there will be further developments that will increase take up. There are relatively rapid changes occurring in the world (look at international politics where IT and social networking is acting a key to wider inclusivity). Of course it could be that worldwide availability of a broadcaster’s product may have to increase in cost for those wanting INTernational rather than just NATIONAL access. This will allow the BBC to increase its revenue to the detriment of the VPN operators.

1 Like

Chris Slade…

Following your reasoning… why cannot those who hold a UK Bus Pass, use it abroad…They have their Rights 365 days a year too…:wink:

I suggest you research what service the BBC is legally allowed to provide. Years ago I used to watch BBC programmes via a third party broadcaster but those programmes were bought and paid for through BBC International. If it was as easy as you propose it would have been done years ago. One of the reasons that the BBC wants to tighten up on access to iPlayer is because they are selling subscriptions in worldwide marketplaces, I believe the system is already up and running in the USA. Your UK TV licence licences you to watch a TV in Britain, your petition, even if 7 people sign up to it every day, will not alter that.

Different bus companies or territorial authorities? But I see where you are going with this… but, with broadcasting we are dealing with just that … casting broadly and with a product which travels on the ether and not simply over land and territories.

I originally floated this petition because I spend 3 months each year in France and was curious not only to check out viewing options but also to find out more about how change.org works - Once a petitioner achieves 100 signatures by way of their own prospecting change.org begin to feed it to its own database… (which is just a little bit wider than my 106 friends on FaceBook). Like I said I’m expecting a very slow burn because only those affected in the same way as I am will show any interest. If it rolls big time then the petition will be presented to the petitionee and, as with many things in technological developments and marketing and sales opportunities, change can be effected - driven by varying motives.

There is a cost to all broadcasting, wherever.

We can receive BBC abroad, but this involves paying a go-between supplier etc…(who presumably/possibly pays BBC for the rights.)

Perhaps the BBC could introduce a special International TV Licence (obviously at a much higher price) for those who wish to use it abroad ?? With a user-password or whatever security measures would be necessary. Probably/possibly get abused though and the extra costs of policing might well push the TV Licence Fee beyond the pocket of many folk.

1 Like

Did you read my previous post? BBC are already looking to sell their programmes via iPlayer to a worldwide audience.

Yes, of course, both of you - David and Stella are raising very relevant points and, as yet my paltry results count for nothing (so far) - but there is a common sense element to these responses. The BBC is managing its resource. I think that the French rule of law: if you are viewing ANYTHING, whatever its source… DVD, recording box - requires the licence fee added to taxes… Barmy!.. you import it - they charge you to watch it! Nuts! Sky Box etc., (but this is outside my experience) seems different. If it’s accessed via a dish attached to your TV and your property it should attract a payment to the local authority… Discuss:-

We have to pay a French TV licence because we have a TV…regardless of what we do with it.

We bought it in the January sales… so got 11 months free…:wink:

In France you buy the licence to allow you to have the TV receiver on your premises so it doesn’t matter where your programmes come from. In the U.K. there are millions of households that never tune into the BBC but are still required to pay the licence fee. Rules and regulations are not wrong just because they don’t suit you.

It doesn’t mean that rules, regulations, terms and conditions are always fair or right. They are reviewed from time to time for many reasons, I pay a fee in the uk for access to TV programs which means I help to fund the programs. Therefore it seems right to ask the BBC to review their terms and conditions so that I can access that content wherever I am, a bit like a subscription service…
My mobile phone service provider doesn’t charge me extra to use it in France, I can freely access the service. I understand that making programs available free for the whole world doesn’t make sense but providing a service user that has paid a full licence does make sense to me. I signed the petition to pressure for a review that makes it fairer to all licence payers.

We live in France and pay a monthly subscription fee to watch Netflix. It is a massive growing high quality tv programme provider and our subscription follows us worldwide. We would happily pay a similar fee to watch Bbc iplayer on the same basis. I cannot see what the issues would be if that were to be offered.

Alan… I cannot agree with your argument…

The UK TV Licence is not “unfair”… it does what it says. The fact that you would like it to do more…does not make it unfair.

1 Like

Really? Which provider is that? Sounds unusual?
Unless it’s 3, which there is another thread about.