UK weather

Scotland, Ireland and parts of northern England really have taken a hammering over the past 3 weeks, Ireland has massive flooding and Scotland on both coasts are under water too, our old neighbour in Loch gilphead say they are basically cut off due to multiple huge landslides, climate change is really starting to bite now.
As an aside, I had never seen a forest floor flapping like it does in the bottom video :face_with_peeking_eye:

IMG_20231021_122652

Dog walker films winds lifting forest floor during Storm Babet in Scotland

1 Like

I’m surprised the chap who filmed that got back safely…

Bizarre - presumably the top layer was bound by interlocking roots but that separated from the earth below due to heavy rainfall, then the wind got under it.

Not sure I would have stayed around to film it though :thinking:

Expect more of the same - when the oceans are much warmer than they should be the heat and moisture is transferred to the atmosphere - excessively warm, excessively wet wet air makes landfall and the result is much more extreme weather than normal.

1 Like

The root systems in pine plantations are really shallow, especially if they grow in poor, rock filled, undersoil. The conifer plantation next door to our wood here in France has done that, and in previous storms has lifted up like that - quite scary to watch !

1 Like

I think it’s more likely that the wind action above ground on the tall trees made them bend, which then lifted the plate like root bowls, but wasn’t enough to topple them due in part to the density of the trees creating support.

2 Likes

Thankfully it looks to easing off now.

Flooding ‘probable’ until Tuesday as rail disruption continues

Remember boys and girls, unless you’re in a high ground clearance 4x4 modified for deep water driving, you don’t drive through water that’s deeper than your sidewalls.

1 Like