Ukrainian needs a job - UK - London area

Afternoon all,

My dad’s taken delivery of his first refugee. She’s a well educated and qualified data analyst / scientist and is looking for work. The local council are beyond useless in terms of support with anything practical so I thought it worth asking here.

Her English is currently basic but my father thinks she would be ok within a couple of months and it would be ideal if she could start working before that as she currently has zero income / benefits etc and is totally reliant on him. Which is fine by him but not ideal for her.

If anyone has any contacts / suggestions / leads we would be very grateful. Thank you!

2 Likes

What languages does she speak?

Is that “data analyst” as in statistician / number crunching or in IT as database analysis /data modelling?

Ukrainian Russian and basic English

1 Like

Data analyst, data scientist

Personal summary

Talented and self-motivated data analyst who has excellent organizational skills is highly efficient and has a good eye for detail. Has extensive experience in assisting in the development and upgrading of database systems and analytical reports. A quick learner who can absorb and generate new ideas and can communicate clearly and effectively. Now I’m looking for a suitable data analyst position with an ambitious company.

City:​Kharkov

Education

Kharkiv National University of Radioelectronics

Applied Mathematics and Management, Applied Mathematics, Kharkov
Higher, 09.2003 - 07.2009 (5 years 4 months)

Key skills and competencies

-Attention to detail & ability to work in a pressurised time-sensitive environment.

-Checking of supplied data for sense, consistency and accuracy.

-Sound understanding of relational, object and dimensional databases.

-Extensive experience with SQL/ MySQL, Excel/Access, 2018/2019, QlikView, DAX/PowerBI, Domo, GoogleDatastudio, Google Cloud (Big Query), AWS (S3, Batch, Athena)
Programming skills: SQL, VBA, Python;
Language Skills:

English –Intermediate level

Certificate: Python(Hillel), Data Science/Machine Learning (ITEA)

Work experience

Data analyst

10.2019 – to the present

IT Company(Zfort), Kharkov (IT)

-Creating and deploying machine learning models;

-Collecting and interpreting data, analysing results;

-Identifying patterns and trends in data sets;

• Analyze and assess data using a variety of tools, with the intent of identifying the root cause of issues and proposing their resolution;

-Defining new data collection and analysis processes;

• Analyzing issue resolution data, making recommendations for support process improvement, and assisting in the implementation of changes;

• Communicate application problems and issues to key stakeholders, including management and development team members;

Achievements:

-Сreated an NLP (natural language processing) model to extract special information from verifiable text data. I achieved more than 80% accuracy on an internal dataset.

-Created a python script for daily automatic data uploading and creation of a calculation program in Power Query(Excell)

• Created a dashdoard in PBI for end-to-end analytics

• Created various macros for automation daily data processing

Template Developer

08.2018 – 10.2019 (1 year 2 months)

IT Company(Template Developer), Kharkiv (IT)

• Economic analysis of bank reports and relationships between individual reporting indicators;

• Analysis of the structure of bank report templates and incoming data required for reporting;

• Development of algorithms for converting the incoming data to obtain a structure suitable for presenting and submitting the report data;

• Configure templates to generate reports.

Achievements:

Created and provided some complex financial reports.

Additional information:
In the preparation of analytical reports used databases and Excel and Excel-like applications.

Data analyst

02.2014 - 07.2018 (4 years)
Trading company(Omega-Avtopostavka), Kharkov (Distributing)

• Analyzing statistycal data of realisation markets (sales statistics, export and import).
  • Monitoring open sources of information about competitors, preparation of analytical reports, analyzes trends in auto parts markets and other analysis as required by Management.
    -Collection, processing and provision of analytical sales information -observation by key sales indicators.
    -Building analytical models.
    -Analysis of internal software for processing big data files and implementing improvements.
    -Modifying processes and creating new tasks in order to improve performance.
    -Review reporting needs and create reports for new features.
    -Project management creation and automation of database.

Achievements:

• Developed and implemented a database processing system by using VBA and MySQL.

-Automated a series of regular reports.

• Improving data quality (reducing the statistical error of data from 1% to 0.3%)

• BI system implementation in QlickView.

Additional information:
In the preparation of analytical reports used regression and analysis of variance to predict the volume of purchases of goods.

Risk analyst

04.2010 - 12.2013 (3 years 8 months)
Financial Organization(Delta bank), Kyiv (Finance)

-Developing, documenting and implementing statisticаl mоdels to quаntify and forecast pоrtfоlio risk levels in support of the Bank’s overall сrеdit risk management, including advanced internal ratings-based methods, regulatory stress tests, and ecоnomic capital.
-Pеrforming dаtа merging, data clеаnsing, transformation, outlier detection and missing data imputation.
-Survivаl analysis for credit risk modelling including PD, LGD, and EAD risk parameters for Basel.

• Prеpаring and enhancing technical documentation.

Achievements:

-Upgraded the model of forecasting financial risks (credit, liquidity), which led to a significant decrease in the level of internal risks of the bank.

• introduced a mechanism for calculating the standard of instant liquidity, thereby increasing the quality of risk control.

Additional information:
Used risk assessment techniques VaR(Value at Risk) to estimate potential losses with the construction of a parametric model.

1 Like

technojobs.co.uk - tech jobs only

also (my secret little known one that also works internationally) tiptopjob.com

jobs seemed ‘real’ on both over the years I am signed up to them

I would suggest she looks at contracting rather than perm initially. take anything, her skills are hard to get. depends on style of person as to where she will like and fit in, so contracting gets her a start.

Follow up some technojobs leads, get talking to agencies, every day call. She will find which agencies have her type of work quickly. It’s all done by phone and internet these days. Load her cv with UK phone, address and UK or gmail email address to technojobs, indeed.co.uk, Reed Technical division, and the more focused tech agencies she wlll find. Totaljobs.com can be slightly less timewasting than Indeed for technical jobs if search alert terms are chosen carefully. But both are very generic jobsites -perhaps too wideranging.

Hence my 2 faves that I mentioned first above, for setting up intelligent specific search alerts that come in close to daily but don’t fill your inbox with total cr*p. It’s a daisychain and one contact leads to another very quickly. Agencies then call, I think she will be called quickly.

She could find a job in 1-3 weeks then typically 2 weeks or so to get the contract done. She should line up a couple of professional referees and a personal one that can be readily contacted so this does not delay her start.

I’d suggest she particularly watches for something in investment banking (more money and they are happy to deal with Home Office hassle if they want you) perhaps risk management there or even moving toward something like option pricing. I’d suggest looking to see which agency is advertising roles with Deutsche Bank (they are big on risk), or even Goldman, send a cv, have.a chat, the idea is to get an agency to sell her in (often the best way rather than direct approach if you don’t have a contact in an employer) esp if her English is only intermediate level.

Not sure if her cv is also worth putting out for telecoms jobs (eg Three/Hutchison in Maidenhead, O2 (Telefonica) at Slough easily reachable from London as maths/ risk type stuff used for telecoms network management), or insurance market (eg Prudential). These should not pay shabby, but investment banking is more $.

She could earn a very, very good day rate £500-750 but I am not up on current market, could be more now in investment banking. If they want her to be a Ltd co then that takes 10mins online , may be best for tax with what she could earn (if that option is offered for a contract).

2 Likes

Are they on LinkedIn?

How amazing of your dad :heart_eyes: and she sounds so skilled and educated. It breaks my heart all these wonderful people ripped from their lives :cry:

www.jobserve.com currently has several data analyst roles:

one perm job at £50K + £50K bonus and there are several contract jobs ranging up to £600 a day.

It may be worth searching for relevant vacancies in very large organisations like banks, insurance companies, Sky TV & BT. Also service providers like Computacenter and database companies like Software AG and Oracle.

She’s what investment banks would call a “quant”. In other words she’s someone that can actually calculate the hard numbers. And complicated hard numbers like in risk management.

When investment banks find these they cherish them. (Cherish=pay lots of dosh. Cos that’s the currency investment banks understand.)

This sort of person is much closer to a data scientist than what is commonly called a data analyst (generally much, much lower skilled than her or not even really skilled at all) these days. However beware : roles called “data scientist” are often civil service roles which have a good story on vocation, but rarely pay on merit (I suspect @Ancient_Mariner might concur :slight_smile: ) . It depends what she wants.

I worked closely with a Russian ex-nuclear physicist who was head of an Options Trading desk in an investment bank in London. From what he said, the USSR education in maths and sciences was amongst the very best in the world (leaving people who are rated top notch in the UK, far behind). I helped him recruit a Risk Manager for his team. Options valuation and risk management for trading options are amongst the toughest mathematical areas in investment bkg but for him with the USSR education it was a walk in the park. I think she’s somewhere on that spectrum but she can do database-y data science stuff as well.

One thing’s sure - when she gets going she’s going to make a lot more money than I ever did :slight_smile:

PS suggest she looks on glassdoor.co.uk if she finds a company with a role she could be seriously interested in. Truth tends to be found there (also works some other countries depending on which company).

PS on that cv, if it’s not there already I suggest to add at the end under ‘Other Interests’ or ‘Other Achievements’ or just ‘Other’ or ‘Hobbies’ etc, just 1 to 1 and a half lines max on mentioning a hobby or two or some personal achievement. Something to get the recruiter’s interest and make the cv personal.

eg ‘interests poker-playing, travel, attended National Championships in USA’ or golf (handicap 6), Member National Trust or Treasurer of ‘x’ neighbourhood charity" "volunteer maths tutor for local school’. Something that helps a recruiter get a little picture of you as a person, that they might ask a question about to make the interview more human. Sport is good, anything ‘team’ is good, something artistic is OK, volunteering/charity is good. Choose +/- 2 things to mention.

The bosses for one role I recruited for, a role that could be done by many people, chose a girl to interview that put scuba diving in Australia in her Hobbies. There was no difference really between her and many other candidates for the job however she was interviewed alongside 2 other candidates first, and got the job.

If she has a visa that allows her to work and / or the letter from the government saying she can travel to the UK as a Ukrainian refugee then she is entitled to apply for universal credit. You/she (she will probably need help from a native English speaker) make the initial application on line. She will then get an appointment to go to the job centre. Make sure someone attends this with her and be prepared to kick up a stink if they say she has to get/ provide a valuation on any property she has in the Ukraine.
We have done this with our Ukrainian visitors who arrived on the 15 April. Applications made about 25 April, first universal credit payment on the 9 June.
While we are in France we have a brace of friends on standby to go to appointments and interviews with them.
The 24 year old daughter speaks Russian, Ukrainian, English and Chinese and landed a job with a fintech company (which has an office in Shanghai ) before her first UC came through.
Mother’s English is less than basic but the job centre set up an English course very quickly.
Hope your dad finds the way through the system . Feel free to contact me .
Where about in London is he ? We are SW16.

I thought I had replied to Cat.

@KarenLot data science isn’t really my area, which is why I’ve kept quiet. I only know one person working in the area and she has just started 2 weeks ago.

yes but you will know about pay being on scale and not so much on merit…

Hi, small world - I grew up in SW16! My dad’s now in Surbiton and I am sure he’d be delighted to be in touch and pick your brains a bit. Also his lady is 29 so might be nice for her to meet the 24 yr old? Can you DM me your contact details please? Thanks! Xx

Reminds me of a situation I heard about , a family had offered a home to two Ukrainians. After they picked them up they were driving home and passed a local pub advertising vacancies. Got home ,getting everything sorted all well until -disaster they lost their refugees , completely disappeared A panic naturally occurred until they reappeared faces beaming, they had walked back to the pub and got themselves jobs. They hadn’t even unpacked

2 Likes

Hi

Sadly I can’t help with job opportunities but my company offers free courses in English to support refugees into work.We are based in London and it can be online if needed.

Can email sue@lass.ltd

I wish her the very best.

3 Likes

I see she has a mathematics background. Get her on efinancial careers an ask her to spam the recruiters (be shameless while applying ). There are many eastern European companies with Ukranians looking for others on there. And moreover ask her to go onto the careers section of big banks and apply for roles with her skill set.

I think more to the point, She will require a security clearance to handle any data within most companies, regardless how qualified she is, this will be a stumbling block and should be. i do hope she gets work though

1 Like