Unintended Consequences

1 Like

Theyā€™ll have a fight on their hands with the local population up around here !

and if you like the immortalised French version as cuddly little thingsā€¦

1 Like

If you are an ancient computer programmer, this might be of interest (if you can do it remotely I guess).

Bit hypocritical to my mind. Who knows what goes on in government labs anywhere in the world. If this is a lab created virus and had started in the UK or USA do you think the government or scientists would have held up their hand and said " Terribly sorry. All our fault . We let the virus escape " Of course they wouldnā€™t. They would be scrabbling around to find someone/ something else to blame. But yet they castigate another country got doing the same.

1 Like

Evidently, patient zero was a n employee of the cat 4 lab in wuhan. It didnt start in the ā€œwetā€ market as the chinese govt stated. The lab was working on bat corona viruses and the lab called in the ā€œbat womanā€, who is one of the worlds leading figures in the bat virus world back in October 2019 to sort out some virus. She published her findings which were censured and she has disappeared. I personally dont want to know what goes on in these labs. Like i posted some time ago, the chinese govt isnt going to drop its drawers and tell the world what happened.

Iā€™m not certain thatā€™s the case here.
If this is genuine attempt to find the source it is commendable as that may well be the route to finding a solution.

This did make me think for a split second if I could still do it. Learnt COBOL in 1981 and loved it.
Its not just the US that is facing this issue, the UK (and I am sure France) have many companies still running Mainframe with COBOL - BT/OpenReach for instance still use parts of their Customer Service System (CSS) running on mainframes.

1 Like

Sometimes it is not so much the (programming) language skills - any half competent programmer could learnĀ ā€‰COBOL quickly enough.

However more than one ancient COBOL system still in use has no extant source code - or no version of the source code quite matches what is running - getting those installations maintained sometimes really does need a greybeard with significant experience in that particular system.

Also younger programmers, or just those new to a particular set-up sometimes look at a bit of oddly written code, think WTF is that playing at and do not resist the urge to ā€œtidy upā€ the code - only to find that it is a critical work-around for a problem elsewhere in the system.

2 Likes

Spaghetti code - throw it at the wall and if it sticksā€¦

You might be interested further in this thenā€¦ Jesus sandles not included :joy:
https://www.howtogeek.com/667596/what-is-cobol-and-why-do-so-many-institutions-rely-on-it/

A surprising unintended consequence:

1 Like

Hi Graham, well itā€™s a difficult task but if eating more chips will help in the current crisis Iā€™m prepared to make the sacrifice! Pass the salt and vinegar please. :grinning::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Izzy x

2 Likes

Iā€™ll put them down on our list.

personally not allowed either but a good naturally made mayonnaise will do!

Yes Graham, lovely with mayonnaise. Sadly, I canā€™t eat it quickly enough before it goes off if I make it myself so usually rely on good old Hellmanā€™s in the UK and Lesieur in France, both made with free range eggs.
Izzy x

1 Like

Now, before reading this, it never occurred to meā€¦

Make your 1 egg mayonnaise without salt pepper mustard garlic, take half and put in a bowl.
To the other half add the condiments and garlic. Eat the one with condiments and put the non condiment one on your hair as a mask.
1 egg makes a bit more than 300mls of mayo so enough for both uses and no leftovers to go off.

3 Likes

What a great idea Vero. Might have to give that a go!
Izzy x

1 Like

ā€œI am telling you, dis virus vill kill us allā€ and it didā€¦