Unlimited lightning fast internet for anyone in France!

looks great james- thanks for this- was researching better options for Internet usage as Orange sucks for sure! will use the link as well. nice one.

I'm surprised you haven't had any problems downloading films James, when we got Tooway my husband downloaded a film - and hundreds of people piggy-backed on his download and we virtually lost all our internet for a while - a lot of sweet talking was needed to help resolve the issue! If you download, make sure your "sharing" is off!

Are you going to use Tooway Neil or were you just browsing?

How strange, I just left the Tooway website and came on here to see this.

Yes I believe so Jon

Does anyone know if Tooway give you a public ip address yet? I need to have an inward connection for a VPN and during my aforementioned visit Tooway said it wasn't possible then. My present router continually notifies dyndns of the current ip address so to connect to any equipment at t'other end I just put in the ip address followed by a colon and the applicable port number. I could have a static ip to simplify this but I'm too mean to pay the extra.

Thanks to both of you for using these links Jane and Leym(and everyone that has too!), it really helps keep the site afloat!

James

Thanks for the updates here James. I, too, must change from orange/FT as my download speed has reached the fantastic rate of 516 and upload is immeasurable and now for our pleasure they have upped the price to almost €50 per month. Oh! and the phone hardly ever works. And they never come to see if the problem really is ours!! Which I know it's not. So Tooway for me now after reading all these posts. The garden's going to look like Goonhilly by the time I get my coms and entertainment finally sorted :-) I shall click-thru to the provider from here also. Thanks again.

Brilliant, James, thanks so much. That more or less makes up my mind and please rest assured I will use the link you provided - you certainly deserve it! Have a good evening. Jane

Hi Jane

Yes I still have it and it is excellent, it has never dropped out and provides a faultless service even in extreme weather conditions, I highly recommend it. If you go ahead with it please use this link as I will get paid a commission for referring you! Don't hesitate to give me a shout if you need any advice on setting it up too.

Thanks

James

Hi James,

I know this is an old post but could I ask if you still have the Tooway 18 plan and if you're still happy with it, please? I have been looking at this option for months but now need to make a decision as my current Orange internet connection is just so unreliable and keeps blipping in and out. Not good when you're trying to run an online business! We live in a very rural area but on top of a hill so no obstructions for picking up a signal. Need a good, reliable, fast and continuous service before I completely lose the plot! Many thanks. Jane

Hi Chris

Yes, it's starting from that, I pay 55 quid a month for 26gb of data at 18meg speed. Good service though.

James

James, I make that about £18.25 a month, which seems far too good to be true, or is this another of those "with prices starting at only ?????" things? My house is in the bottom of a valley and right at end of the telephone line so Broadband has been a real problem to date. Could this be what I am looking for perhaps? Chris

It's raining and I can't get out (even though I've been told it's something I should do more of) so this has got me thinking.

The satellite is no doubt in the Clarke belt 35,786 km above the earth. When you click your mouse connected to Tooway, the signal has to go four times this distance before you get an answer = 143,144 km. Now radio waves travel at c = 299,792.458 km/sec I think so that would take um er um about 0.48 seconds. Then there's the rest of the usual delays. You are doing very well at 0.6...... :)

PS I had satellite broadband 12 years ago which was only fast down. The 'up' was via 56k modem dial-up to somewhere in Germany which made 0.6 sec latency now seem very good indeed. However the 8 meg download available was at least 15 times faster than any conventional ADSL at the time if you could even get it which most outside big towns could not. The great thing was I used the same connection for three different sites (one in France) using a sky minidish.

They must have fixed something since then! It really makes no noticeable difference to me. I recently did an operating system upgrade which was nearly 1 gigabyte that would take hours on a 2meg broadband connection, it was done in under ten minutes!

0.6 of a second can seem like nearly a lifetime to the impatient..... Seriously though it was considerably more than that when I was trying this system out at Tooway a few weeks ago and even the demonstrator agreed it was a pain!

Chris, thanks for the comment. Our friends have now got their problem with Tooway sorted. Tooway sent them a new modem box and they also had to get a new LNB for the Tooway satelite dish and now all their machines connect wirelessly.

Vanessa - I don't know if you've solvedthe problem but we had something similar with our new Freebox from Free. We would have a good signal but could not connect to the internet. We would be wifi connectecd to our Lan but as soon as we tried to connect to the internet it failed as the modem attempted to connect to the other wifi signals from our neighbours. We contacted Free who knew exactly what the problem was - our modem setting in our account with Free was to connect to the strongest signal. Once that was disabled we haven't had a problem. Hope this helps.

Latency is not an issue John unless you are a gamer and require a fast ping. My downloads start immediately (within 600 milliseconds anyway!).

Yeah James but what about the latency for much shorter downloads? Do you just put up with it to get the good speed once it's started?