UPDATE 10th December: Confinement/Deconfinement

We have three children living in mainland France and all of them want to have Christmas with us along with their partners so that will be four different households mixing together, what should we do?

You will do what you feel is right for you and yoursā€¦

just a thoughtā€¦ perhaps they can all have the tests etc to prove they are safe to mix with youā€¦ and then, you can all quarantine together for the necessary extra days to be sure that nothing nasty is being taken back from your place to elsewhere in Franceā€¦

but perhaps testing again before they leave youā€¦

that way, if one of you has got itā€¦ at least youā€™ll be keeping it in the familyā€¦

I read one doctor who said: ā€œCut the bĆ»che in half, gran and grandad go into the kitchen and the others in the living roomā€.

1 Like

Our sonā€™s wife and 2 kids are really looking forward to spending Christmas together as one family unit as opposed to what they have generally done over the past nearly 10 years together - vast family gatherings. I admire them for that.
Better to at least have family rather than just memories of family lost to Covid :thinking:

5 Likes

If I recall correctly, it was giving the idea that if gran and grandad come to dineā€¦ they are separated for the whole meal not just the chocolate logā€¦ :wink:

thus the celebrations can be shared ā€œfrom a good distanceā€ eg different roomsā€¦

1 Like

What if a really infectious worldwide pandemic was raging in waves across all countries, a disease that could require hospital and intensive care, kill the elderly and people with existing conditions, and damage multiple organs in anyone, even younger people. A disease where infected people can be asymptomatic and still pass it on to others by contact, droplets and aerosols. Symptoms donā€™t appear immediately a person is infected. Tests are available in some countries but not necessarily conclusive. There is no cure, but a vaccine is going to be available in months.

I know, letā€™s all get together to celebrate Christmas as usual.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I donā€™t think you are in the majority. Only talked to a couple of people today but they were all planning their family christmas meals. Especially as the curfew has been lifted on the 2 main days people are interpreting that as meaning fine to do what you like.

Ah wellā€¦ sadly there will always be such folkā€¦ ā€œNone so blind as those who will not seeā€

Letā€™s face it the curfew is only lifted for Christmas Eve and New Yearā€™s Eveā€¦ both major evening festivities ā€¦ and all the health safeguards are to remain in placeā€¦ plus masks worn indoors when visitingā€¦ numbers to be a minimumā€¦ no public gatheringsā€¦ etc etcā€¦

Iā€™ll step backā€¦ since itā€™s clear to me, but clearly not to othersā€¦ so no point in flogging itā€¦

and, in any caseā€¦ even this lightening of the rules will only take place if the figures are good.

1 Like

I thought that was a given. He is almost saying not to bother.

Do you really think that even if they are told it in very short words,people are going to keep gatherings to a minimum ,wear masks indoors etc because I donā€™t

3 Likes

Sadly I feel that applies equally to those who think the messages have been absorbed. I hope the powers that be donā€™t just step back and let it happen, but drive home what they mean.

As I thought, Prime Minister Jean Castex will hold a press conference on Thursday morning to provide more details.

2 Likes

Iā€™m fully aware of the risk of any gathering but is it any greater at Christmas than when we got the family together in September for the OHā€™s birthday?

You obviously kept to the rules of spacing/masks/gel etc etcā€¦ and were fortunate.

however, the point has been made this morningā€¦ that eating at table with friends/family is one of the most dangerous timesā€¦ as masks are removed and folk relax their guardā€¦

Noel will not be like beforeā€¦ re-emphasised again this morningā€¦ says will give guidelines on numbers etc, nearer the time.

If everyone is cautious/responsible for the next 5 weeks, Noel might not be cancelledā€¦ :wink:

People do understand, they just think that it doesnā€™t apply to them.
We were invited to lunch by a neighbour last week and surprised when we said that we would love to come when the regulations allowed.
When we invited our friends before this lock-down we used the larger table in the gite and opened the window.

1 Like

Here in 17 the infection rate is the lowest in France so in reality the risk is very low.

Weā€™ve had to say that too. At the beginning of the pandemic, when the enormity of it hadnā€™t yet sunk in, it felt churlish and a bit paranoid to refuse an invitation. It still feels bad, but itā€™s easier now, although a refusal is still that and some people donā€™t take it well.

We were invited by a lady over 80, who is obviously at risk.
She regularly goes for walks with her neighbour.
I can understand it, as they are both single but the rules are supposed to apply to us all.

Where in France are your 3 children ?? all in the Charente ?? that would certainly be hopeful.

Glad you had a good birthday celebration togetherā€¦ that is something to remember with joy, even if Noel is cancelled.

We had friends staying during the summer, and the difference was ventilation. We spent most of the time outdoors, and if inside windows were open. We will probably have the same friends here over christmas - one has had covid so is safe and the other is going to have to get used to sitting by an open window! This visit is quite important for their mental health, otherwise we would probably postpone.

2 Likes