Update to Receiving Healthcare in UK as a Fr on an S1

Thank you, Graham. That explains that the OP is concerned about qualifying as ‘ordinarily resident’ in UK, assuming not a CdS resident in France.

Now the fun part. A summary of my findings after laboriously wading through the doc

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/care-act-statutory-guidance/care-and-support-statutory-guidance#Chapter19

“19.14 The concept of ordinary residence involves questions of both fact and degree. Factors such as time, intention and continuity (each of which may be given different weight according to the context) have to be taken into account. The courts have considered the meaning of ordinary residence and the leading case is that of Shah v London Borough of Barnet (1983). In this case, Lord Scarman stated that:

unless … it can be shown that the statutory framework or the legal context in which the words are used requires a different meaning I unhesitatingly subscribe to the view that ordinarily resident refers to a man’s abode in a particular place or country which he has adopted voluntarily and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of his life for the time being, whether of short or long duration.“

And……

People with more than one home

19.71 Although in general terms it may be possible for a person to have more than one ordinary residence (for example, a person who divides their time equally between 2 homes), this is not possible for the purposes of the Care Act. The purpose of the ordinary residence test in the Act is to determine which single local authority has responsibility for meeting a person’s eligible needs, and this purpose would be defeated if a person could have more than one ordinary residence.

“19.72 If a person appears genuinely to divide their time equally between 2 homes, it would be necessary to establish (from all of the circumstances) to which of the 2 homes the person has the stronger link. Where this is the case, it would be the responsibility of the local authority in whose area the person is ordinarily resident, to provide or arrange care and support to meet the needs during the time the person is temporarily away at their second home.“

Annex H

“ British citizens resuming permanent residence in England after period abroad

1. British citizens returning to England after a period of residing abroad (who had given up their previous home in this country) are entitled to an assessment as soon as they return if they appear to have needs for care and support.

2. Accordingly, a returning British citizen would usually acquire an ordinary residence in the area in which they chose to locate, if their intention was to stay living there for settled purposes. For example, they may have family in a particular area and choose to settle there for that reason or they may have no particular reason to locate in a given area. As long as they can demonstrate an intention to remain in the place they are living for settled purposes, they are able to acquire an ordinary residence there.

3. However, if a returning citizen presents to a local authority on their return to England but has no particular intention to settle in that area, the local authority may decide they may be found to be of ‘no settled residence’ and/or in ‘urgent need’ (see heading ‘People with Urgent Needs’). Each case should be decided on an individual basis.

4. It should be noted that ordinary residence can be acquired as soon as a person moves to an area, if their move is voluntary and for settled purposes. There is no minimum period in which a person has to be living in a particular place for them to be considered ordinarily resident there, because it depends on the nature and quality of the connection with the new place.”

My conclusion would be that a person can be ‘ordinarily resident’ in either UK or France, not both. So, a British resident in France is not an ‘ordinary resident’ in UK.

good grief… having waded through most of that… I’m thinking of returning to The Bins… and throwing myself in :roll_eyes: :wink:

1 Like

It’s a tax term too and can be a trap. One can be resident in France but “ordinarily” resident in the UK by dint of, for example, your “centre of economic interest”. It’s quite a woolly definition but could impact, once again for example, capital gains tax.

1 Like

Another yougov article to checkout, I personally would carry my S1 and have travel insurance. which i think would cover emergencies such as a broken leg. But if you are returning back to UK specifically to get treatment through NHS I think it would be very difficult without passing the criteria in the document. How charges for NHS healthcare apply to overseas visitors - GOV.UK

Bingo!

People living in an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland on or before 31 December 2020 whose healthcare costs are funded by the UK (such as those with a UK-issued S1 that has been registered in another member state) will be entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England, should they return temporarily to the UK. UK nationals living in the EU on or before 31 December 2020 can also apply for an S1 upon reaching state pension age and drawing their state pension.

So, armed with an S1 NHS treatment is offered for UK nationals with WACdS living in France. As confirmed by @JaneJones and @graham .

UK nationals resident in France with no WACdS, not so much.

UK nationals who no longer live in the UK

Because the NHS is a residency-based system, under NHS rules UK nationals who move abroad on a permanent basis lose their entitlement to free NHS healthcare.

UK nationals living and working in EU countries, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland on or before 31 December 2020 and their family members may be eligible to use NHS services without charge. They are advised to check with the relevant authority in the member state where they live for further information before travelling to the UK.

UK nationals who moved to the EU on or after 1 January 2021 should not expect to use NHS services for free when visiting the UK unless they have an EHIC, PRC or S2 to show that their healthcare costs are funded by the EU country where they reside, or another exemption applies.

Any treatment that may have to be paid for will be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate.

The UK government always advises visitors to the UK to take out travel or health insurance that has the necessary healthcare coverage for their needs. This is particularly important for those with pre-existing health conditions. Appropriate insurance means visitors may be able to recoup any treatment costs from their insurer.”

So, a bit woolly, as @John_Scully says.

@digitracker ’s advice seems wise.

I don’t think it’s neen the ‘SS’ for some time. Not sure why :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

DHSS turned into DSS and the DoH, and then more recently transmogrified into the DWP - department of work and pensions and DHSC - department of health and social care.

Civil servant party game…spot the department acronym. The fun we had!!

1 Like

while Rome burns etc…

1 Like

Rome wasn’t burning then… I left in May 2010.

1 Like

ooo so sensitive… my comment was aimed at Govt :wink:

1 Like

I had to show our S1 forms to Specsavers to establish our right to “free” annual tests. I nevertheless had a confrontation with a manager who said I could only claim a “free” test each 2 years (wrong … it’s annual, and my sight had changed massively in a year to the extent I am now expecting surgery) I was then referred for surgery by the opthalmologist.