Update to Receiving Healthcare in UK as a Fr on an S1

Hi All

Any idea of the latest rules for receiving UK healthcare if I return for a month or so.

I cannot get a grasp on the term Ordinarily resident but have an S1 so the UK is effectively paying for my treatment in France anyway.

Has anyone any experience of getting UK treatment?



Take your S1 with you and you’re fine.

1 Like

If you can get an appointment or even be seen if you have an emergency.


Seconding what others have said… plus…
Get travel insurance and make sure it covers repatriation to France…

1 Like

A repeat - From the Brit Ambo France December 2022 Newsletter:

“ Healthcare while you travel

If you make social security contributions in France, you should be entitled to a France-issued European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and should carry this with you when travelling.

All EU-issued EHICs remain valid for necessary care when visiting the UK and other EU Member States. We still recommend taking out comprehensive travel insurance when travelling, including health cover, as an EHIC does not cover certain things such as repatriation.

Click here more information on getting a French EHIC.

If your healthcare is covered by the UK, you should be entitled to a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). Existing UK-issued EHICs also remain valid for necessary care when visiting EU Member States until the expiration date on the card. They do not need to be replaced immediately. Once it expires, it can be replaced with a new GHIC issued by the UK. Please also share this message with any visiting friends or family from the UK to France.”

Looks like GHIC is only for treatment required when a UK France resident is travelling anywhere except UK.

I am not certain about this but does not being issued the S1 mean that the holder is no longer a resident of UK, and therefore withdrawn from the internal system? Is this not only an issue covering repayment to France by the NHS for treatment received in the France helthcare system?

As a UK non-resident but a British national, is one still entitled to NHS care without a registered GP? Do you then need only to present only a passport for free care in UK? Presenting an S1 may be of no help at all in UK NHS centres.

This is all confusing for folk and would be very stressful to find out only in an emergency :pleading_face:

No. It means that you are registered with the DWP as an overseas dependent on UK social services. The only time I’ve needed to use NHS services I was asked wether I am entitled. To which I said yes, and given my strong London accent no further questions were asked, However the actual S1 letter says that you are entitled, so as long as a person can be bothered to read it all will be well.

In an emergency the NHS would ask no questions and just treat someone!

1 Like

Excellent, thank you Jane! Now all I need to do is actually travel :smirk:

1 Like

very wise on their part… did the wearing of your bovver boots, your display of fancy tats and bright purple hair also help? :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

And not become ill!

1 Like

Hi All

Thanks for the responses, but I still do not understand the ordinarily resident bit any ideas?


Where have you seen this mentioned…??? if you have the link I might be able to clarify things for you…

It means that you are not a non-resident. Ie that you spend enough of your time in the UK and have enough ties to the UK to be considered resident, but you may not be there all the time. However if you arrive in the UK with the intention of staying there, paying your taxes etc then you can be ordinarily resident from day 1.

If you are a French resident then you are not ordinarily resident in the UK even if you spend some time there. So you are not entitled to use NHS services. However, the S1 grants you an exception so you don’t need to be ordinarily resident to get treatment.

Is this perhaps a mistranslation from French “régulièrement resident”, meaning “legally resident”, as in being the chosen primary country of residence? ‘Régulièrement resident’ in official French documents does not mean “regularly resident”, in terms of staying often.

hardly, as it’s an English Govt reference :thinking:

1 Like

How do you know that… ???
I’ve asked for a link… and still can’t find where/if Nick has posted it…

because it’s a term used in the UK Health and Social Care sector


This helpful UK Govt reference

Besides which, the question as to entitlement has already been broadly settled by @JaneJones in post #2


you are magnificent… !!!
without this link, I couldn’t really follow the thinking… mind you… it’s very out of date isn’t it…

I shall celebrate by taking the yellow sack to The Bins…(what fun)…

EDIT… It’s just dawned on my Fr might mean Frontalier… :roll_eyes: :wink:… it’s been a long, difficult day and obviously my brain just isn’t working… sorry to all.

Last updated 4 September 2018 when I think the name of the Dept changed to encompass Social Care

It hasn’t changed. It is a UK legal concept that still stands.

Didn’t it used to be Health and Social Services DHSS now DHSC so a name change in effect :thinking: