UPVC doors and windows

Wouldn’t be too happy about Lapeyre’s to be honest. Years ago we had them fit large patio doors to our open rear terrasse, making it into a veranda (the one I mentioned in the ‘Summer’ thread). After a year or so water came rushing under the frame. It took some effort to get them to inspect and they kept saying that it had rushed over the bottom channels, not under through the sealant which I maintained and could prove. They did reseal it to shut me up but also said it was my fault for installing it at the bottom of a slope. So why didn’t they refuse to quote and install after having seen it in the first place?

I solved the problem then when I realised that the leak in the sealant was due to ivy growing through it. :astonished: It has been fine ever since, until yesterday that is, but that was a different part of the system where there is no ivy.

I don’t disagree about their after sales service David…
The south facing window has deteriorated badly and each year we have to attend to it with Sickens or some such treatment. The window seals round the glass has perished and they have been totally disinterested. The real problem is the way the Lapeyre windows are constructed. The glass forms part of the structural strength of the whole assembly which is basically why they show reluctance imo.
I won’t buy from Lapeyre again.
I’m considering splashing out on an electric volet roulant for that window at least to give some protection from the weather and extend the life of the window.
On the upside, all the other windows and doors are protected from the worst parts of the weather so are wearing well.

And now for the update: We wasted some time going to a couple of flash showrooms. What is it with the french tradesmen and the super posh showrooms? In the Welsh valleys people work out of a small industrial unit, trying to keep the overheads down and just do a job. Anyway, we went to LM and ordered the windows at approximately half the price. After two days of explaining that we do know how to measure up since we have done this repeatedly for 28 years now. October is the schedule, let’s hope it will not take longer. Next lockdown looming. Doors will come from BD, they are perfectly fine. But first the floors need to go in to determine the final height. All good fun when we were younger, it’s fast loosing it’s appeal. Never mind, my best half has decided that a Royal Enfield Interceptor is what’s needed. To go with the BSA and the Greaves. Is 65 still classed as midlife crisis?

1 Like

That depends on whether you intend to grow a ponytail!

Oh dear…
When we met he had glorious copper locks. After some slight modification he then also sported an equally glorious copper beard. These days it’s my retired dog grooming clippers on a grey fuzz and the beard is neatly trimmed to match the top. The colour has gone and I draw the line at tonsure and ponytail combo.

1 Like