Urban Sketching in France

Urban Sketchers is a global community of artists (professional and amateur) who practice on-location drawing. It’s a lovely way to get out and sketch/draw/paint in the company of others.

The Urban Sketchers (USk) mission is to raise the artistic, storytelling and educational value of on-location drawing, promoting its practice and connecting people around the world who draw on location where they live and travel.

Meet-ups are always free and bring people together in a convivial atmosphere to discover new places and share drawing tips and ideas. It’s also a good way to learn and improve your French!

The USk Manifesto is

We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
Our drawings are a record of time and place.
We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
We support each other and draw together.
We share our drawings online.
We show the world, one drawing at a time.

There are active Urban Sketchers groups in
Belfort, Bourgogne Franche-Comte, Paris, Strasbourg and Languedoc.

Whether you already enjoy drawing or would like to start sketching, find out more from your local group or see the Urban Sketchers website http://urbansketchers.org.

You can also contact me by email annette@sketchlanguedoc.com

USk is a non-profit community managed by volunteers.

6 Likes

A few small towns in my area have artists in the streets days during the summer which prove to be very popular.

2 Likes

I always admire those have the skills to be able to portray with, sometimes what seems like a few strokes, pen or crayon or whatever media such vibrant scenes.

2 Likes

Yes I know some communes do organise these - which town are you in Dominic? Maybe I can create a list :slight_smile:

I agree Ann, but I think the wonderful thing about sketching is that ‘doing’ and ‘enjoying’ are far more relevant than '‘talent’ and ‘perfect’ (which are both very subjective and can often make a fun activity quite stressful) :thinking:

I’m not in a town, I’m in rural Charente. The not too far away town of Charroux was the first I knew about but others have followed their lead.

Hi I don’t know if this is the right place to put this. but if anyone is interested in art please have a look at
www.frenchartholidays.fr

This sounds amazing!!!

1 Like