Using a SIM card in a Router

Hi, I thought it might be interesting to share our experience on using an Internet router with a Sim card. The Sim card came from Coriolis, and the Router was a TP Link Archer MR200. We had used it successfully before with another Sim card. When I put the new card in, we had a signal, but no Internet. ( For debutantes, you connect to the Router from your computer via the Router’s Wi Fi signal using a provided link, and put in the card’s pin number - no Internet signal needed). So we rang the Coriolis help line, explained the problem, and they said that we need the “parameters”, and that the Technical dept would contact us. This we did twice, but had no feedback from the Tech. dept. So then I read the router instructions carefully, and discovered that you can “Create a profile” - basically change the parameters yourself; the parameters being PDP type (IPv4, IPv6, or both); APN type (static or dynamic); and Authentification (None, PAP, and CHAP). A little bit of logical/intuitive messing about and the Internet signal appeared.
Two questions : the Help line of the ISP didnt really know or understand our problem, so I wonder if many people actually use a Router in France.
And , if anybody knows more about the parameters, so I can tweek them, I’d be interested to hear.

This sounds like the same process you sometimes have to go through with a phone, if the phone for some reason does not set your sim card up automatically. Or sometimes if your provider switches to a new carrier. I have a very old Reglomobile card, the required profile settings have changed since I bought it and it seems to keep reverting to the old settings by default and when that happens I cannot receive MMS. If that makes sense. I have to reset something in the profile. I have the correct settings noted down. It needs changing now but since I rarely use MMS I doubt I will bother. The only MMS I ever receive are from an insulation company sending me unsolicited publicity graphics.

Hi Peter, we use twin TP-Link MR600s with a load balancer for our internet. You don’t need to fiddle with any network parameters, nor should you. All the TP-Link box needs is your PIN (and you can subsequently tell it to ignore that) and it will find the network. If the SIM works in your phone, it’ll work in the Archer. If it doesn’t work in your phone, change carrier :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Why would you do that?

1 Like

Well to make it work. If the settings are not correct it does not work. So you change the settings and then it does. It is not complicated and there is no need to change carrier.

As to why it is necessary to do it, I cannot explain for sure. But I have always assumed perhaps wrongly that the original settings were somehow stored in the sim card and those are what the phone “reads” and applies by default, and if for technical operational reasons the provider changes the network access parameters, you have to manually override the default settings. I imagine I could ask for a new sim card which would be preconfigured with the up to date parameters and then I would no longer have to do this. But it is no big deal. From memory I simply have to change the text in the MMS setting from “sfr” to “reglo” or something like that.

Fair enough, but you shouldn’t have to do any of that. SIMs should just work so I’d change the SIM. Sometimes, very occasionally, we overrun the 420GB PM that our two router SIMs give us and I just slot in my phone SIM and we have another 210GB to play with. I wouldn’t want to have to fiddle with settings in the router or phone each time.

You’re over complicating it. You simply needed to input your PIN for the SIM - and then turn off the PIN.
It’s always the reason …

It works perfectly well for voice, text and internet. It is only the MMS setting that I suppose must have been modified when leclerc became reglo (that is how long I have had the sim card). MMS is of no interest in any case because I use whatsapp for sending images, and I never take the sim out, if I to use mobile data for another device I simply use the phone ,as a hotspot. So one way and another it does not seem worth the trouble of getting a new sim card.

From googling Coriolis which I had not heard of https://assistance.coriolis.com/thematiques/comment-parametrer-mon-mobile-manuellement-aux-mms-et-a-internet/#:~:text=Pour%20configurer%20l’accès%20à,Type%20d’authentification%20%3A%20PAP it appears that they automatically text the settings to your phone when you first insert the sim card, but I suppose the problem is that routers cannot receive texts.

All mine do :wink:

3 Likes

To be honest I’ve never used MMS.

I have to say that I dont remember changing the parameters for the previous card (RED), though my memory is not what it was. Interestingly though, this time when I looked through the various settings on the Router, the IP address was 0.0.0.0, something specifically mentioned in the FAQ’s for the router.