Using a Skype handset

I used a Skye phone back in the UK when I was renting a room from a colleague. It allowed me to make and receive calls without having to block his line or pay extra bills. Despute the hiccups, (it was at the very start of Skype) I found it really good. I would definitely use one again, especially as Skype has since improved it's service greatly.

I suggest looking at VOIP in general to see which options there are. Whilst Skype is very well known its a bit like using the name Hoover as a verb!!

Good luck

It seems from Brian's link that Skype can't be used to call the emergency services. Looks like a landline or mobile would be needed as well for peace of mind.

You can buy via

http://shop.skype.com/intl/fr/

although you will likely find cheaper on ebay.

I have a GE unit which, for some unaccountable reason, Skype were giving away for free (+ p&p) and it works fine

Any further information, Brian, on your "dedicated Skype phone"?

I am so pleased you raised this one!!!

I have been looking for a dedicated "terminal" - running of wi-fi - for ages, principally so that my ex-ma-in-law could have access to her family spread far and wide but without the ability to deal with a computer. Despite Microsoft (whose acquisition of Skype I think will be disastrous in the medium term!!) it is still the best I have found - but I just haven't found an affordable "terminal" that Ma-in-Law would be able to use.

I really look forward to responses from the experts on here!!!!

We have used a dedicated Skype 'phone for many years and pay an annual subscription for unlimited call to UK landlines. It works well although the annual charge has gone up considerably since Microsoft took over but still good value. A lindline is now superfluous as long as you also have a mobile as Skype cannot be used for emergency calls (and obviously cannot be used if your internet is down)