Using Forex Company (Wise)

Virtually all banks are, by the nature of their business, risk adverse, and none of this is their fault, but rather that nothing has actually said they can continue. As with most things in brexit, like the driving licence situation, if there’s no agreement in place, it becomes a defacto hard stop. Really it’s the banks allowing the status quo to continue who are in the wrong and will be the ones who will be on the hook should the shit hit the fans, but I’m not complaining as long as it means I can still have an account lol. I think so far both sides are just turning a blind eye to the whole thing as the alternative would likely cause chaos on both sides of the channel. I think they’re discussing a new agreement (but with the way the tories have been doing things so far, who knows)

1 Like

Thank you Graham for your support . Bosendorfer clearly does not understand and from his comments I can only assume he is in a much secure financial position than we are - We absolutely need our UK state pensions paid into our French account every month. They are transfered a rate very close to current spot rates (better than any forex company on the day). True , if we could hold funds in Sterling and transfer when the rate was favourable , that would be good. For us however ,that would be gambling with money ,we couldnt afford to lose , but which we need now anyway.

1 Like

Here is an unexpected update.

On Sunday , I was about to attempt a transfer using Xe (formerly Hifx) or another Forex company. However , I thought that I would give it one final attempt with Wise. Woha , would you believe it went through immediately - funds in Uk account first thing today.
I don’t know what has happened - change of policy at my bank head office (following my criticism - I doubt I can be that persuasive) or whether Wise have been in contact with them , but clearly something has happened. I cant think it due to being a weekend , could it ? So thank you all for your help and support , and I am now happy for this discussion to be closed , unless anyone else finds it useful.

1 Like

I’m still struggling to get a photo of myself holding my readable passport. Not easy on your own, even with someone else, my favourite Aide de Toilette, Gill, ( :joy:) tried to help. Tricky. :slightly_frowning_face:

Haha, yes especially Silicon Valley bank and Credit Suisse. RBS also springs to mine back in the 2008 days - only a small bailout if I remember. :slight_smile:

Northern Rock and the mortgage prisoners - terrible.

You did to be fair say ‘virtually’!

Edit - with respect to the topic, (UK) Revolut payments to my France account have been arriving in about 1-2 minutes. Very impressed.