Value of my consulting company (SASU) for divorce

Dear all,

I am going through an “amical” divorce in Paris. My wife is French and has a stable permanent job while I have my own consulting company in France (SASU) where I am the only employee.

My wife is fine if I keep the company since it’s my only source of unstable income (I am British with a permanent residency in France) but the notaire asked me to provide a document about the value of the company to count as common money and split it in half (even though my wife doesn’t need that).

I am very concerned about that since I have a few subventions and some money allocated for new projects that do not belong to me and should not be considered as family money (my wife is fine with that).

Does anyone know how such valuation works? I plan to ask my accountant for help but I am curious if someone already went through a similar process and has some suggestions how to make it fair?

Thank you very much in advance and have good weekend!

You probably need an estimate from a “business broker” who helps people sell companies - I know one here in the UK who i can put you in touch with, but whether he could advise on a French business I’m not sure.

And I seem to recall him saying that businesses where the owner/operator is the only “asset” are really not saleable, so it may be that your consultancy has an effective market value of nil!

Thank you, ChrisMann.
It was also my understanding that 1-person consulting company is not really saleable because it’s basically my salary and dividends (that I didn’t have) …
I believe I will need someone in France to understand this situation. I have contacted my accountant and will be waiting for her response … But I will keep your suggestion about a “business broker” in mind just in case - thank you very much again!