Van reco’s

I’ve been looking at vans recently, with a view to converting one to be able to use as a campervan. Recently got some input from the local CT centre and, very surprised by what they said i.e. that it’s possible to add furniture, add solar panels, add diesel heater without it impacting the CT, as long as it’s all fixed down well. The big difference, from what I understood, with VASP vans is that you can’t have a gas installation if you’re converting.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone out there has any reco’s for a good reliable van. Currently looking at a Merc Vito, but still in research mode so interested to hear about anyone’s experience :grinning:

Surely there can only be one choice…

3 Likes

I was considering this with my extended wheelbase Renault Trafic, but in the end got rid of it, mainly because I didn’t know how to do it myself, and a whole range of CT issues that needed fixing before I could have even started on the conversion.

1 Like

Potentially something a little more aerodynamic :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve now done quite a bit of research on converting, and apart from deciding on the layout, of which there appear to be almost unlimited numbers, actually converting isn’t too difficult from what I can see. Of course if there are many CT issues, that can be a bit of a put off, but having said that, feel quite confident to tackle many issues, so don’t think I’d be too daunted, unless it involved actually removing an engine - that’s where I’d draw the line as don’t have the kit. Apart from that, feel quite comfortable, and in fact enjoy it. Since stopping work, I’ve done all my own maintenance, including alot of work on the car I just sold - hugely satisfying!

3 Likes

Sprinter seems to be the most popular van for conversion with lots on you tube. I used to drive to race meetings with my MB508, lots of space for me and the bike and workbench.
And that was in Germany where if you even think about converting, it has to go before the MOT fritzens.

I know someone who I think still has one that was professionally converted several decades ago and is a superb period piece in excellent condition. He was intending to sell it, but was slightly surprised when I suggested a classic auction. It might still be available

1 Like

If one was of a sporting nature, a Citroën CX II 25 GTi Turbo (168 Hp) engine (basically the same engine as in the Light 15 and H van) should fit snugly and give the camper a fair turn of speed :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like