Vegetarian meals

Morning all!

I’m after some inspiration and I know that there are lots of cooks on here so hopefully, you can solve my problem…

At the moment our 17 year old nephew is living with us. He is helping us renovate the house and working extremely hard physically. He is like most 17 year old boys, a bottomless pit. He is also a vegetarian. The husband is also a bottomless pit and often puts in 13 hour days. He needs vast quantities of food too and preferably meals that involve large slabs of dead animal.

At the moment, I’m feeling like a member of Hell’s kitchen…

So I’m looking for recipes to feed six, that will be enjoyed by non-veggies too, could maybe be served with a slab of dead animal to keep the husband happy and will provide the growing veggie with enough nutritional content…

Help!

Thanks a lot

Catharine

Is your nephew a fish- or seafood-eating veggie? (Well, lots are!) Prawns, specifically.

If so, I have a prawn/courgette/pasta recipe that I can post.

It’s quick, simple and yummy… and it’s passed the carnivore test as well. My ‘slabs of dead animal’ eating chasseur neighbour had 3 helpings and had to have his wrist slapped as he reached for more! :slight_smile:

Risotto is a good one too. You can make tons! Here’s a link to some BBC recipes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/risotto
some are veggie some not.
The Gastronomy Economy lot produced this yummy pumpkin risotto
http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/387017/Economy-Gastronomy-risotto

I made it and it’s really delicious although I suppose pumpkin’s not in season any more.

That sounds good too. I love all beans.

Sheryl - your pie is excellent - loved by all!

If you’re interested in a really good vegetarian cookery course here’s a link http://facilitutors.com/index.php?ch=15&id=292 enjoy!

hey you!!! lol. i think bacon was not the menu.lol!!! but mmmmmmmmmmm bacon is good for the other not veggies at the table!.. and i dont care the smell of bacon hurts all vegeterians!! its like hot cross buns when you know you should be dieting!..the smell the aroma its hard to resist…
. It sounds yummy!xxI have tried quorn and tofu!the real thing is better.xxx i’m going to try it!xx

Try Cheese, Potato and Onion Pie. Slice enough spuds to feed six, ditto 2 or 3 medium onions, grate a large lump of strong cheese like Comté. Layer in a large gratin dish, seasoning as you go and finishing with spud and a good grating of cheese, pour over milk to come about half way up the layers, pour a little olive oil over the top to help crispiness. Bake at about 180°C or higher if you’re pushed for time until top is golden and crisp and potatoes cooked through. Delicious served with baked beans, salad or cole slaw and would go well with a steak or some nice crisp bacon. This is making me feel hungry…

well no worries as I haven’t made it yet - was going to try tonight but the way todays going it will be ‘haricots a la sauce tomate’ on toast. If they’re lucky! So I might wait and get the jar of pesto too!! ta x

i forgot the jar of red pesto for an added touch!!!oops and I don’t how to edit it.

Will post some tomorrow, perhaps we start a Veggie link in Food and Drink ?

FILLING

1x tin of lentils

1x tin of tomatoes

1x tin /tube of tomato puree

1x t- spoon of ground coriander

1x t-spoon of cumin

1x chilli if you want to make it a little hot and spicy optional

1x leek

1x onion

Olive oil

TOPPING

3x4 Boiled new potatoes thickly sliced but any potatoes will do to enough to cover oven dish

1x goats cheese sliced

INSTRUCTIONS

Boil the potatoes thickly slices and put the oven on at approx 180 degrees.

Meanwhile fry the onion and leek until soft then add all the other ingredients in the pan until hot.

Place in dish

Add the potatoe slices on top until covereing the filling

Add the goats cheese in slices on top as preffered

drizzle a little oil on top as desired to brown the goats cheese and leave in the oven for about 20mins or more depending on whether the goats cheese is browning and the filling is bubbling through.

Serve with salad.

I wrote this recipe from my head so I hope I have explained clearly. I guess for vegans leave the goats cheese out.

My teenage boys love it! and we are not veggies.

Sheryl