Vice Caché

I’m certainly going to try and avoid selling anything for a while…

Unless it’s a classic (voiture de collection)… I believe they don’t come under the vice caché whatzit. These old cars just need the recent CT and the Buyer takes the goods whether there any surprises later, or not…

Correct, I made sure my old triumph had its carte gris sorted out before sale!

I agree entirely.

Well I’ve done that and I wouldn’t entertain a dealer coming after me. They are the experts.

@Djburns
This has come up on another thread… you might like to check the details of the vehicle you sold in the link… it could throw up an interesting history.

Hmm, should be useful. Not sure I can check my old van as I’m not the owner now nor am I buying it. If I and when I buy something else I’ll use it!

1 Like

I thought you merely needed to have all the information, which you surely will have… and you can check as a prospective buyer

I’ve followed it through but I think you have to ask the vendor for permission. :thinking:

From what I read, it said you might need to ask the Vendor… but as this is the person you sold it to and you are on good terms with… it shouldn’t be a problem.
On the other hand, if you just want to let sleeping dogs lie… give it a miss.

cheers

I prefer the sleeping dog option…

1 Like

quite understand… best of luck

Not really, because you can specify that the “garantie vice caché” does not apply, is it is sold “as seen”. I wish I had done this when I sold my last vehicle as the buyer is now trying the “vice caché” scam on me.

I know this is ancient history, but I’m in a similar situation. When you say Mechanic’s report, do you mean an official report from an “expert automobile” ? My buyer keeps harassing me but has yet to produce such a report, so I am calling his bluff.

“Nice family” or not, I think you may have been scammed.

I believe you can, but how many buyers would actually buy a vehicle on those terms? I do not think I would. I would think, this seller must suspect a problem because if they were confident that the car is sound, why would they insist on this. I would have thought most buyers would want the peace of mind of knowing they have all the protection that the law considers they should have. I guess a significant price reduction might be needed to tempt somebody.

I thought the point about vice caché was that you are only protected if the seller knew of the defect.

Which might be difficult to prove.

1 Like

… and failed to disclose it (perhaps) in circumstances where it should have been disclosed (such as the buyer asks specifically)?

I am not a mechanic but I believe there are some fairly well known tricks to temporarily hide developing issues rather than fix them. Anecdotally for instance if you have a worn out gearbox you put sawdust in it and it stops the rattles. I think if you buy a car and find sawdust in the gearbox it is reasonable to assume that the seller put it there to hide a problem.

1 Like

Well yes, that would be suspicious :rofl:

Personally, I’d slightly overfill it with oil which is a bit more viscous than specification.

And not tell the buyer? Naughty boy.