Violence at London Bridge and in The Hague

Bob, i had no intention of nit picking. In my book a terrorist is a terrorist and i dont give damn where they come from or what religion or race they are. Unfortunately in the last 10 or so years the Terrorist has in the main, come from arab countries and are muslim origin. The IRA are terrorists, and i am sure Maggie didnt talk directly, which isnt the case with wurzel gummidge of the labour party, who lets himself and even takes pride of being photographed with known terrorists.
Directly there is in my mind no difference between brown black or white terrorists, one does it as a political and the other does it under the religious banner.

1 Like

People who visit oppression and persecution on others, as the British have done down the generations on subject people in India, Africa, the Middle East and, yes, on the island of Ireland deserve to be terrified IMO when the oppressed rise up against them to be free

When words and reasoned argument have yielded nothing but more oppression and violence, then it is right that people fight back, and refuse to be vanquished.

As to ‘where were you in the Troubles?’ I was standing shoulder to shoulder with black ‘terrorists’ in apartheid Africa, where oppressed and brave indigenous Africans were being thrown out of windows of Police Headquarters to silence their voices, and unarmed schoolchildren were being shot down as they ran away by white troops, who “feared for their lives”.

You have my utmost respect Sir. Not being involved in any of the Apartheid troubles, with the little bit of knowledge, i wouldnt class the indigenous African population as being terrorists in those times.
As mentioned i wasnt involved or have a huge amount of knowledge on the subject.

As you have mine, sir! You’ve served your country as a young man, and I have no doubts about your sense of duty, discipline and honour.

Africans struggling under oppressive colonial rule that didn’t acknowledge their basic humanity were regarded as terrorists by HMG when they struggled for freedom and the right to govern themselves.

As I’ve pointed out here before, my African wife was denied a birth certificate in 1943 as she was not regarded as deserving one, being black. Her identity was not recognised until her country got its independence in 1964, six years before we met.

She also got her driving licence at the same time, for cars and motorcycles! She served the NHS as a nurse from 1973 until 2013 when she retired from full time work aged 70.

Mrs Thatcher always called Nelson Mandela a terrorist and never retracted her words. She supported apartheid and the South African regime.

1 Like

I don’t judge a terrorist by their race or the colour of their skin but I do judge them by the validity of their cause.
I see a significant difference between for instance Basque freedom fighters, IRA activists and Catalan separatists who believe, not without reason, that another country is refusing to treat them fairly and won’t negotiate in good faith with them, and for instance people who kill other people because they have different scriptures.
Terrorism is dreadful.
But, what else do you do if you have a grievance and nobody will listen? When you’ve exerted all the non violent pressure you can and you are still being ignored, violence is all that’s left.
What’s wrong with the world, why can’t people TALK AND LISTEN and show respect to each other.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree
One man’s terrorist is another’s freedom fighter, but not saying I condone the associated violence.
However, trying to impose so called Islamic beliefs by means of global terrorism is something totally different.

1 Like

What did she do that was wrong.

Err going abroad, illegally as she was a minor, to support (if only by being a baby factory) a recognised terrorist group, along with two friends who no longer have the luxury of an argument as to whether the UK should allow them back.

1 Like

Don’t forget the passport offences, but I suspect we are having our buttons pushed Paul

So Peter are you saying that your family,my family everybody in Great Britain deserves to be terrorised because their great great whatever grandparents ,through ignorance , oppressed minority groups ,other nationalities etc ?

quote=“MaryB, post:50, topic:28112”]
are you saying that your family,my family everybody in Great Britain deserves to be terrorised because their great great whatever grandparents ,through ignorance , oppressed minority groups ,other nationalities etc ?
[/quote]

I am not. And that is just not happening, nor ever likely to, despite the slogans. But people have to learn that what goes around comes around Mary.

Having a white skin, a hugely privileged background in terms of national wealth and security, and a one-sided view of history doesn’t, and IMO shouldn’t, confer immunity on anyone who thinks it possible, and believes it to be just, to defer for ever the consequences of their action, or that of their forebears. I don’t mean you personally, I’m just responding to your argument from history.

We don’t exonerate the Germans for the Holocaust their ancestors visited on the Jews, the Slavic peoples, and our own folk.
And they don’t (to their credit) expect the world to ‘let byegones be byegones’.

Neither should you or I for that matter, nor the generations to come, again IMO.

Ask yourself how many aggressive invasions of the western hemisphere and the northern longitudes have been perpetrated by people from the Middle East, how many European cities sacked and their citizens buried under rubble by airborne bombers, missiles, or artillery from India, from Asia, or from Africa?

How many foreign continents have had their resources plundered and their people’s enslaved for centuries by white-skinned adventurers, whose ‘heroism’ is sung in books, in poetry, art, statuary and film? What some might call ignorance, some might define as an assumption of racial superiority and entitlement, and unwillingness to contemplate any alternative.

Consider your buttons being amicably and gently pressed, in the spirit of lively debate, Mary. I mean no personal.offence to you or anyone else, it’s just my point of view. :smiley:

1 Like

“a baby factory”

No point in talking to you then.

That’s what she was though isn’t it. That’s what most if not all these young women are

2 Likes

So Richard how do you see her then? Honestly

You find it shocking, we all find it shocking, but that’s what she was recruited for - to have babies, preferably male babies.

4 Likes

I read in horror about what is happening in the world.

It has always gone on, now it is more visible, except in states which repress free speech and close down the internet.

Peter, it not just people with white skins which repress others.
Arab slave traders provided the ‘cargo’ for the European slave trade, as did African races which were at was with one another.
Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tung were all responsible for appalling crimes against their own people and not a white face among them.

1 Like

Margaret… Hello and welcome to the forum.

It is possible you have misunderstood the Registration page.

Folk are asked for their Full Name (first and last) and then choose a User Name…

If you would like me to correct things, just say so. If by any chance your Full Name is not Margaret Barber, let us know what it should be and we can get things back on an even keel…

cheers

That’s true Jane. But the English and the Americans have industrialised the process of oppression of non-white peoples, and their economies rely heavily on the industries and export of death-delivery, or so it seems to me.

The following lines of a lovely hymn, to a tune by Sir William Parry (one of my favourite English composers of choral music) says it all.