Virus/Vaccine News

It is totally beyond me Izzy, but there seem to be many who think that it is their duty to resist anything advised by Government.

3 Likes

Having just been told that I now need to stick a swab up my nose twice a week to self test my view on the vaccine has moved from ā€œmoderately keenā€ to ā€œbring it on as soon as possible!ā€ :confounded:

5 Likes

Obviously the long term side effects of the vaccines wonā€™t become apparent until just that - the long term. That, in fact is true of any newly launched drug.
The difference this time is (a) sharing of data and (b) the HUGE amounts of money that have been thrown at this to enable testing to happen extensively and in parallel rather than sequentially.
Although Iā€™m not a fan of vaccines - for example I prefer not to have a flu jab but rely on my own immune system - nevertheless in this instance I will be happily stepping forward. The pharma companies need to find out how this will work in the wider population as soon as possible. These various vaccines are real cutting edge work and the more we learn as a society about the way forward for vaccination programmes the better. I can understand anyone who has underlying conditions might be more wary, but as a fit mid-70 year old, Iā€™m happy to be a guinea pig.
Also, I run a gite and (hopefully) among our first guests this coming spring is someone in his eighties and a care worker - I would hope to have been vaccinated by then as they are friends and I would like to be able to relax and just be with them without feeling I might be jeopardising their lives.

2 Likes

Cautious optimism :pray:

1 Like

Yes, Lily something akin too.

Well you must admit they dont have a great track record. :joy:

It seems Oxford/AstraZeneca might indeed have rushed their testing - though the doubts focus in how well it really worked rather than safetyā€¦

Yes, little on safety and few on testing, that Iā€™ve read.
Something to note /// Share price drops as critics question claim vaccine could protect up to 90% of people.
Also the various elected people gouvening today will not be answerable tomorrow. Or, not get imprisoned.
As said, Iā€™ll wait before and if I get a C 19 jab?

1 Like

In a rush to be Ā« first Ā» to market, are we not asking history to repeat itself with the likes of Thalidomide?

It seems that Boris is going to be the object of a Tory rebellion next Tuesday.
He was told off by Mr Speaker, yet again, for not coming to The House to inform MPs first.

Extremely unlikely! So please donā€™t plant that thought in the minds of conspiracy theoristsā€¦ these days scientists have a much better knowledge of the type of molecules that cause teratogenic effects, and the testing is tighter.

3 Likes

is spring not too early to receive paying guests in the circumstances

(Edit: this reply is re FRANCE)

Good questionā€¦

Itā€™s been clearly stated that if by 20th January, the covid situation has got worse instead of betterā€¦ the country will step right back under rigid controlsā€¦ so difficult to predict what will be going on in the Springā€¦

(there is a real fear that thoughtlessness over Christmas/New Year might result in a covid-explosion)

1 Like

It is a massive problem but i do not expect clients untill July really.
People will be desperate for a holiday away from cities
But safety will surely come first.

Somewhat unlikely - allowing for the compressed timescale as much attention has been given to safety as possible and the tests and results have been as transparent as possible which is why we know about the odd result with the AZ vaccine.

The scandal with Thalidomide was actually that evidence of harm was actively suppressed - not that the testing had been insufficient per se.

Also donā€™t forget that Thalidomide and several derivatives are in current use as effective treatments for multiple myeloma.

3 Likes

And they havent really worked that well. Nick Ferrari on LBC this morning asked the direct question to Robert Jenrick, why are we going back into tight restrictions when the previos month hasnā€™t made much difference

Iā€™m talking about Franceā€¦ :wink: ā€¦ Iā€™ve amended my post to show that ā€¦ apologies for not making that clearā€¦

Okay then John what do you think should be done. The virus isnā€™t going away, the vaccine isnā€™t ready please give us the benefit of your wisdom

As previously mentioned to you, on another post I think, this is because people are already not keeping to the rules.
It can be the only logical outcome.
I have yet to hear any politician putting his head on the block and telling it straight. It is more waffle and yet more waffle.
There were people interviewed in Leicester this morning complaining that they were suffering because of others who would not stick to the rules.
It is obvious that this applies here in France and worldwide.
Just how many more cases will become apparent in the USA after Thanksgiving.
Not many people will be giving thanks after they have caught the virus.

1 Like

Once again Eddie you seem to be directing this at me. I am not an epidemiologist, I am however fascinated by the reports from those who are that fly in the face of the action we are being forced into. They seem to also to take a holistic view of the harm this is doing. Rishi Sunak has stated this will cause the worst recession in 300 years. China is open for business, Sweden is open for business and so are others, so something doesnt line up.