Visiting the uk

For the first time in many years I am in the UK for more than just a flying visit. What has struck me is that the traffic is denser than at home, many roads are not in tip top condition and the amount of traffic related signing is overwhelming. On the positive side there is road kill. Which, while unfortunate in itself, is a good indicator of the amount of wildlife in the countryside. There is also a near total absence of adverts for shops and their products blocking the view.

To my great relief Iā€™ve not forgotten how to drive on the left.

Gus

1 Like

Thatā€™s putting it mildly!!

Evidence? Surely the fact that there the roads are busier just means that there are a lot more chances for animals to cross at a bad time.

Ah, youā€™ve noticed the very ad French habit of having low level signage far too close to junctions tooā€¦? Itā€™s not just commercial stuff though; I find official road signage is often badly placed too.

Thereā€™s a lot of wildlife about these days: deer, badgers, foxes, rats, pheasants, rabbits. Red kites are everywhere in the Thames valley. Not all wildlife is burgeoning and some varieties of birds seem less common, but mammals are doing well.

1 Like

And yet Sunak and his team bluster onā€¦ Chancellor Hunt the gerbil (second from the left), who screwed the NHS, is my personal bĆŖte noire.

One positive about the uk is that there is still some semblance of planning controls and recognition of clutter. France allows far more.

Fear not, young Padawan, I live in his constituency and we will surely be booting him into the interstellar void as soon as the opportunity arises.

4 Likes

God bless you and your fellow Jedi Chris :slightly_smiling_face: Heā€™s the smuggest bastard of them all, and thatā€™s saying something. He screwed the NHS and junior doctors particularly. I see heā€™s even trying to personally stuff his re-election coffersā€¦

Catsā€™ eyesā€¦ Almost everywhere you go, unless using country lanes. Never realised quite how useful they were. Like the philosopher Mitchell once said, ā€œYou donā€™t know what you got till itā€™s goneā€.

Vote for me as President and I will introduce catsā€™ eyes to French roads too.

7 Likes

mmm. I must live in a particularly good part of France and a bad part of England!

Around Chipping Norton, potholes are the norm. Country roads are not edged, roundabouts are overgrown and as for plastic bags fluttering from the trees do not ask! Fly tipping? Letā€™s not go there! Here, I can be sure of not blowing tyres, the tractors are out in force trimming the ditches, lots of people in yellow jackets sprucing up the roundabouts. And nice views whilst driving - even with the ads!

I was sympathising with West Oxon Council thinking they are struggling, but no, they are one of the better ones financially. Just useless!

And the sun shines here instead of rain, rain rain :sweat_smile: I actually find it hard no to drive on the right, even in a rhd car! Definitely home for me :rofl:

3 Likes

We have Ewoks at the ready to knock him off his speeder. :slight_smile:

Yes his leaflet spam has started already. To no avail - it only needs a 10% swing to let the Lib Dems take his seat which is pretty much a certainty given the state of the opinion polls.

1 Like

North oxon problem generally. It why we changed my wifeā€™s mini for a small SUV, so she may break fewer tyres and wheels.

My sister lives north Oxon and says the roads are a menace.

Yep, itā€™s almost unbelievable, and they have really deteriorated in the last 2 years. Where we live even the road bed is worn through and failing. Repairs are botched and sometimes last less than a week.

Driving in UK for first time in some years - potholes everywhere, even on A roads, ridiculous density of speed cameras south of the Thames, trailer was trashed by a pothole when I was doing 30 kph (yes, kph) in a 40 mph zone in Newmarket, rubbish everywhere, more aggressive drivers than in France.

As for signage, I actually appreciate French signs for Leclerc etc. What I hate are the useless UK signs ā€˜superstoreā€™, not helpful when a friend says ā€˜meet at Tescoā€™ and you find yourself in Sainsbury, or even worse ā€˜local shoppingā€™ (which means??? in France it would be a boulangerie, boucherie, etc, in the UK itā€™s probably two estate agents and a Boots).

It won;t even be a Boots, they are rapidly closing branches. More likely two coffee shops and three charity shops.

Interesting, I believe Boots has been owned by US interests for some years?

I still remember my American mother about sixty or so years ago, coming home smarting because some Bootsā€™ employee had told her off for referring to it as ā€˜drugstoreā€™. "Madam, Boots is not a ā€˜drugstoreā€™!

Ah, but that was thenā€¦

2 Likes

Now it would go down as a ā€˜hate crimeā€™ :crazy_face:

3 Likes