Want to get a tablet - want to be able to download english apps/tv/books etc

You can read non amazon stuff on the Kindle Fire HD I have used 2 sites for free ebooks.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/category/3/newest/0/free/full/140

http://www.feedbooks.com/original

You just have to side load them via the USB cable.

It has a Skype cam on the screen side. But nothing on the other side. I don’t suppose it is a problem as primarily it’s a reader.
Just been in and had a look. I think I’m going to go for it for the OH.
Looks quite funky and kobo books have a good selection in many languages.

Hi Suzanne

That's more of a phone really no? 4.3" screen?

You mean none on the screen side Nick? Well if that's the case, not much good for Skype :(

I'm going out to have a look at the Kobo now. Sounds OK apart from no front camera

I've just been bought the Sony Tablet Xperia S for Christmas, it was 100 euro cheaper on the Sony France site than Sony UK - so it has been safely despatched to my neighbour for our return on 15th Dec. Hubby assures me he can reload it in UK English.

Makes a change for something to be cheaper in France non?

Here is quite a good comparative table of current tablets.

Just seen this post after I asked the same question in the general discussion. I have seen a 7" tablet in FNAC called the Kobo. The only downside I can see is that you cant expand memory! I don't know if it's possible to connect a USB to load things. Any help would be appreciated too!!

I have seen some poor reviews of the Kindle fire. Lot's of advertising when you boot it and can only read Amazon stuff. Not sure if that's correct though.

Well thats all useful to know. Sounds like the Kindle is a no-no to me because I really want to use it to watch UK tv and was hoping to connect to TV with hdmi lead but apparently the Google Nexus does not have a hdmi. Oh why is it all so complicated!?

I have only recently found out about filmon and it seems perfect!

Thanks all, please keep the observations coming.

M

The Itv player & bbc i player can be side-loaded. There is an Amazon discussion here that helps to explain how to do it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3IRFCNF3E5K2W&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1K8BYVVQ38TEE

The only reason they won't work for me after doing that is the IP address it says I am out of area. If you have the galaxy tab you should be able to watch Uk Tv with www.filmon.com

I could watch it if The Kindle Fire HD would use flash player, the pâge loads but asks me install Flash player which then won't install on Kindle Fire HD . I have asked Filmon if they have an app forn Kindle fire but the replied that they didn't.

Still the Kindle isn't actually a tablet computer it's an e-reader with extras. I just have to keep reiterating the difference to myself, but that is what I want.

I have a Galaxy Tab 2 and have the same problem, only French Google play and and can't get I Player Apparently you can use something like Expat Shield or similar to convince them you are in the UK, However, had Expat Shield in our computer and it was a nightmare, popping up ads all the time and completely slowing the computer down, so if anyone has a better suggestion, I'd love to hear it please. Am buying my daughter the Kindle Fire (not HD) for Christmas so am quite keen to find a solution.

I have the new Kindle Hd. I don't realy want it to be a tablet computer so I think of it as an e-reader with internet extras. What I mean by this is that you can't do word, Excel etc. But I can surf the net if there is a wireless signal and pick up emails.

The big down with the new Kindle Fire is that it doesn't support flash player. If you want to watch you tube videos you can if they aren't flash player ones. You can sideload itv player and BBc i player to the kindle fire but they don't work if you are outside the Uk When I go to the Uk ( once in a blue moon)I expect they will work. The old version of the kindle fire USA did support flash player so it could be worth thinking of getting an older one. They say you can get a version of Flash from google play but the kindle won't use google play unless you do something horribly complicated to it( formating or rooting something quite profound). I found online instructions but decided I was happy watching odd things on you tube for free at the moment. You can of course watch as much as you want to pay for with Love Film which is an Amazon company

I have my Kindle registered to a Uk adress for the most part, apart from when I want to download apps and then I have to switch it to my french adress download the app from the app store, I believe this is because of my french IP adress, and then I switch back to the Uk amazon . I do this because I get more choice of free books on the UK Amazon.

I have no knowledge of the nexus but I do know it supports flash according to the critics reviews.

I am very happy with my Kindle Fire as it does what I want, it's an e-reader with benefits. Hope that helps

I’d be interested in the answers to this too.