Washing soda on sun-lounger cushion covers?

I’m combining two of my previous threads - I asked last summer (I think) about how to clean non-removable sun lounger cushion covers that had suntan lotion etc on them. The suggestions at the time (car upholstery cleaner etc) worked a bit, for which thanks, but not enough.

Then more recently, I asked about oil stains on my T-shirt and the suggestion was use washing soda.

So I wondered, anyone tried a washing soda and washing up liquid solution to get sun oil out of garden furniture cushions?

You’re a great one for the stains Sue. I have the unenviable ability to immediately stain whatever shirt I put on. Usually though an urgent need to paint something, lubricate something or have a quick look for something in the attic. Today it was disassembling the UV water purifier in the cave (those UV bulbs cost a fortune).

1 Like

Only because I’m getting the place ready for first gite guests of the year. Normally I live quite happily in total squalor. In fact since lockdown and having no-one in the house since March 2020 I have been as happy as the proverbial pig (my Chinese birth year) in s**t. :grin:

4 Likes

There is a GREAT deal to be said for no visitors. Neither of us does anything much in the way of cleaning unless someone is coming round which, of course they haven’t :smiley:

4 Likes

Now there speaks a very well-adjusted person :rofl:

2 Likes

Thank you Brian! Kindest thing anyone has said to me for goodness knows how long :rofl:

1 Like

I have been painting our guest room for three months … only managed one coat on the walls/ceiling and have lost interest as no one is scheduled to visit this year :slight_smile:

It needs an incentive to do that sort of thing, doesn’t it? Not all the electric sockets in the guest bedroom work and my partner has been “getting around” to fixing them since the last guests visited briefly a year ago :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s not just me that needs a real deadline. When I am in the last minute panic mode shabby chicing a TV table (as last year) I grump at myself saying “you’ve had all winter to do this!”

I posted elsewhere, I am deeply grateful for Vrbo (I never thought I’d say that). For the second year their translations of my UK ad on their French and German sites have brought us a few bookings after everyone from the UK moved (again!) to next year. My next year’s calendar is full.

I am content to have my first guests arriving in July (Dutch) and so half-heartedly I’m beginning to sort things out - no doubt I will be swearing again at myself in three weeks time.

I’m grateful for the bit of pin money that we will get this year which will cover taxe fonciere and the abonnements for electricity and water. And it does motivate me to keep the cottage looking pristine.

1 Like

We will, hopefully, be having our German family in the gite for three weeks in August.

1 Like