Wasps round swimming pool steps - ideas for deterring please

We have a set of metal steps that go into our pool and by mid afternoon there are anything up to about 20 wasps using the top step as a launching pad for taking water from the pool. This is making entry into the pool impossible for our nervous gite guests - and they are past the age of jumping in!
So far we have tried (with no success) raising the level of the pool water above the top step; putting citronella spirals on either side of the steps’ hand rails; attaching two little solar fountains to the steps to try to keep the water disturbed and providing them with an alternative source of water in two wheelbarrows.
We’re running out of ideas. Any suggestions please?
NB: tracking the wasps back to their nests unfortunately is pretty much a no-no. I really don’t want to destroy entire nests and as we have an old property it’s unlikely we can find the nests.

How about wasp-friendly water trays… strategically placed away from the pool.
I note that wasps like to land on the pebbles I’ve placed in one saucer and they sip the water as they stand there…

2 Likes

Thanks Stella, I can assure you they are happily using the wheelbarrows because the can get down the sloping sides.

1 Like

then why are they trying the pool… ??? what’s in it which is attracting them ???

The guests probably :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Don’t know. They are not telling me.
Water temperature? The pool is nearly thirty degrees
They want to piss off our guests. :slight_smile:
The pool has been here fore over 30 years so there is a tribal memory that the wasps have handed down through the generations.
They like a little bit of salt in their water
The pool is cleaner than the wheelbarrow water
The pool is in the sun and the wheelbarrows are in the shade.

Just wondering if its possible they have made a nest in the steps somewhere :thinking:

Thanks Mark, but I don’t think so. They are landing on the water and then flying off, mainly towards our house. But I will go and check.

Google tells me that wasps use water to build their nests and to keep it cool… as well as just drinking… judging by the activity at your pool… I reckon they’re building a “village”…

This will only get worse as the weeks go by… possibly do need to be actively discouraging them… as they are a danger to your guests who risk being stung, or falling while trying to avoid/evade said stingers…

It’s pretty early the year for them to be having sugar cravings, but maybe try a sweetened wasp bottle trap nearby? Or if you don’t want to kill them just some sugary water to see if you can find something more attractive than pool water?

1 Like

We have wasps and bees from our neighbour’s hives trying to drink from the pool.
The wasps seem to be able to drink and then fly away, but the bees either congregate round the cover hoping to find water there.
I always sweep the bees and flies into the socks before I swim, which I am just about to do.

Doesn’t that make it uncomfortable when you put your shoes on? :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Sorry @Jane_Williamson but you did make me chuckle too…
are the bees alright after you’ve swept them… wherever… poor bees need to drink.

Thanks Jane, yes got two traps set up in the trees, Just thought - I can add some sugar to the wheelbarrow water.

1 Like

I did some googling.

What scent do wasps hate?

Peppermint, spearmint, basil, eucalyptus, cloves, geranium, thyme, citronella and lemon grass.

How about a mix of water with oils of the above, and spray the top step? Too slippery maybe?

Experiment?

1 Like

You bet! No oils on wet steps. Be careful with lemongrass around any pets as its a neuro toxic.

2 Likes

Thanks Bonzo. I’ve got citronella spirals burning in close proximity to edge of pool by steps. The top step is under water, so your suggestion is not viable. Also, our pool terrace is cream paviours, so oils sprayed around not a good idea as it will stain. Also, like @Corona I’m wary of oils by the pool and by our dogs.

OH has had what seems like a good idea. We are pretty certain the wasps nests are along the eaves of our house, above the gutter. The wasps need the water to build their nests so tomorrow morning we are going to block the end of the gutter where it comes down into the water butt - no rain promised for at least the next week - and we are going to to fill the gutter with water. Hopefully that means they will be happy to have water on their doorstep and won’t need to come to the pool. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

If they don’t like garlic, try rubbing garlic :garlic: on the steps ??? Another experiment !

You are experiencing almost certainly paper wasps/guêpes polistes/guêpes longues pattes. They create small nests, you could (for example) have dozens of little nests in your roof.

It takes a lot of water to build a papier maché nest, so swimming pool puddles are an ideal attractant.

@Stella was spot on, have a wasp friendly table in full sun, a few meters away from the pool or your dining area. Shallow bowls of water, beer, and jam will keep them busy and away from the pool.

Bonne chance!

2 Likes

Thanks @Rob_le_Pest. (and @Stella ) Certainly the wheelbarrows with water in are keeping a chunk of them happy. You’re right about the type of wasp and lots of small nests along the eaves and they don’t bother us. This year, the high temperatures have brought an exceptional number to the pool to the distress of our guests. I’m trying the guttering tomorrow when the shops are open - I need short lengths of plastic guttering, sealed at both ends inside our zinc guttering, which leaks and so won’t keep the water in place for them. I’ll add some stones to the gutters to give good landing places and wipe some jam along the edges. Hopefully that will keep them close to home and away from the pool.

2 Likes